Can't get upper radiator hose to seal

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ever since I replace my radiator hoses about 6 months ago, I've been having trouble to get the upper hose to seal at the thermostat housing. When I initial replaced it, I had to clean up some corrosion, I just used a scotch brite pad to do so. It seemed to seal fine initially, but then started leaking after a few days.

Afterwards, I tried to clean up the thermostat housing surface again, put the hose back on, made sure the hose clamp was on tight, and pressure tested the cooling system. Everything seemed to be fine, and now after a few months it has started leaking again.

I am at a loss for what to do. Ideally, I would just replace the thermostat housing, but I know they are discontinued. I was thinking of trying some aviation permatex, since that seals stuff well. Any ideas?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a like length of gates 5\8" hose that refused to seal thru 6' of cutting off and reclamping.
Factory flaw. (Read china)!
Get new hoses,.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
try replacing the hose clamp.
if they strip they wont seal.

also some dumba$$ thought it would be a bright idea to put plastic hangers through the hose for storage
ive had them leak because of this.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It can be rough it just can't have any loose rust on it or I'll weep through. I'd say wire wheel it and use two clamps

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
try replacing the hose clamp.
if they strip they wont seal.

also some dumba$$ thought it would be a bright idea to put plastic hangers through the hose for storage
ive had them leak because of this.

I tried replacing the hose clamp already. Hasn't helped. Maybe there are better quality hose clamps than the ones from the parts store?

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had to use wire brush on mine was corroded as well and leaky, wire wheel would save a lot of time but I didn't have the patience for my drill to charge lol

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get hose clamps that have a "liner".It is basically more clamp material inside the clamp that covers the slots for the worm gear. The liner keeps the clamp from "digging in" to the hose rubber. You can really crank down on them and not damage the hose.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
When I replaced my upper radiator hose it also leaked.No matter what I did I could not stop the leak.turns out the hose had a hole in it where the plastic hook was installed to hang the hose at the parts store.Some cutting and hose adjustment fixed that mess.. You really can't actually see the hole ut put pressure on it.. sure nuff it will leak.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
I second the above hose clamp style. I use these from mcmaster-carr for clamping viton and tygon hose at work. The bands are extra wide and twice as thick as a normal hose clamp, all 300 series stainless, very tough design. I have sealed up some rancid looking rotted aluminum fittings with these.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#t-bolt-clamps/=17n3gp2

Blackascoal

Reaction score
Anyone ever see it leak at the upper radiator hose where it comes off the radiator? I noticed a very small leak some where on the top of the radiator. So smalll I couldn't trace it. After reading this thread it may be where I just described. Just wondering if this was common. Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online