Can't get upper radiator hose to seal

Blackascoal

Reaction score

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Anyone ever see it leak at the upper radiator hose where it comes off the radiator? I noticed a very small leak some where on the top of the radiator. So smalll I couldn't trace it. After reading this thread it may be where I just described. Just wondering if this was common. Thanks
Yes. And around the cap where it meets the tank.
Resoldered and g2g.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Whatever clamp you use, try not to overtighten. My guideline has been to tighten the clamp *just* until I could not twist the hose any more. Works like a charm 99% of the time. The other 1% only needs a 1/4-1/2 turn on the clamp. The cooling system does not run under high pressure, only 12-16 lbs. If you have higher pressure than that, you have other problems.

Many old factory hose clamps were spring loaded, no adjustment necessary, and did not leak. Make sure the surface is as clean, dry, and smooth as possible before installation. Good luck.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My hose leaked at the connection to the radiator after I changed the hose out, re-adjusted the hose clamp and it not leaking anymore

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the one you posted the right size, 2 1/8 to 2 5/16? I'm going to order some right now. Thanks

I'm not sure it's the correct size- I'd have to measure to be certain. NAPA stocks those so you can likely get one local. I just posted that to illustrate the style. And as someone said, don't over tighten!

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it turns out that my issue just seemed to be a fitment issue with the hose. Even though the hose was fairly new, it just seemed to not fit tightly, so I tried another hose, and sure enough it sealed just fine. The hose I was having issues with was Gates. Never had issues with them before, but oh well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online