Can you "turn up" a dps pump?

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all-
I am soon to be swapping a dps stage 1 pump from one truck to another - While its out, I was thinking of popping the cover off and turning it up a flat or two. Has anyone messed with this on one of Ken's pumps? I can't imagine that it would do any harm to the pump, but I have no idea how he builds them and I don't really feel like another month or two of phone tag to ask him.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a DPS IP as well. I email'ed Ken to ask about turning up the IP. Here is my Email, and his response.

Ken,
I’m Heath Sutton. I purchased a Turbo cal IP and Stage one’s for my IDI and have been running them without issue since 6/06. I never see more than 800 on the pyro (and that’s rare) and do not see much more than 6-7 psi boost (my max has been 9psi). I’ve shortened the wastegate rod on my Banks turbo as short as it will go and still no real increase in boost. I think I could use more fuel as I’m well below safety thresholds for boost and EGT’s.

You said when I bought the IP to contact you before adjusting the fuel on the pump. So how far can I go on the internal screw? Also, should I adjust the external screw too? If so, which direction and how far?

Thanks again,

Heath Sutton.

Hi Heath,

I would try turning the internal screw in until it bottoms out, and then “crack” it back. You can also adjust the external screw out until it’s just hanging on by a few threads and then tighten the lock-nut back down. That should net some more fuel out of that pump.

Thank you,

Ken Engelsman

DPS Performance
www.dps-performance.com
269-367-4171

So..... I guess you can turn it up.

Heath.

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet - Thanks Heath. That's what I'll do then...

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That starting statement," I would try". Sounds scary to me.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well with what ive read, it looks like the bottom end goes out at somewhere between 3 and 400 HP at the crank, if you bottoming out a DPS or Moose pump, im guessing your making some relatively high numbers for an IDI...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Neither a Moose pump or a DPS pump will knock out the bottom end of these motors. They are big and fordged everywhere. The crank and rods are really bullit proof. Yes, some have broken a rod but how often do you hear about that and really, what caused it to happen. I think it usually is a dropped valve or coolant that wont compress. So the rod and piston has to go somewhere. Zigster 40 drove a 7.3 up on a trailer and then down off a trailer with a broken rod. Said it sounded bad but runable... Till it just stopped...

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I put the DPS pump in question on the '93 I used to drive, it made a huge difference - the truck ran 100% smoother than it had with the very shot pump that had been in it. Power wise, however, the DPS pump seemed just barely faster than the stock pump maxed out had, and I only got a little bit more smoke out of it. My last concern with the turning the DPS pump would be to much power - I just don't want to screw up the internals of the pump.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think you'll have any problems hurting the pump as long as you are careful. I don't think you can get 400rwhp out of any DB2 pump and probably not out of any IDI without very significant internal modifications which might make it unstreetable. I would worry about excessive EGTs with a Moose, DPS, or any other turned up IP, in my opinion of course it has to have a turbo, boost gauge and pyro and you best watch them! The DPS pumps were the best thing going unless you knew how to build your own or had a pump builder who would. Ken's customer service got very crappy and he had a few QC problems, mostly with the Stage 1 injs. but with a few of the turbo cal DPS pumps, hence Mel gave him some competition. I would be glad to have either pump, but I sure hope I don't need any pump anytime soon since I am so strapped for cash right now!