Can you guys tell me about my new 6.9

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's a good port to plug into to measure oil pressure on a 7.3L IDI? I have a few industrial 60 PSI pressure transducers laying around, they are 1/8 inch NPT.

What's on the engine? 1/4 NPT?

( I have to use a special gauge unit for them as well, but that's in my ballpark )

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Most of the easily accessible ones are 1/8 NPT. On the Factory Turbo blocks, the one that the oil feed line hooks up to on the back of the engine is 1/4 NPT.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's a good port to plug into to measure oil pressure on a 7.3L IDI? I have a few industrial 60 PSI pressure transducers laying around, they are 1/8 inch NPT.

What's on the engine? 1/4 NPT?

( I have to use a special gauge unit for them as well, but that's in my ballpark )
Oil galleys on the block FTW. There is one driver's side above the oil filter that I tapped into, gives great pressure readings. A pain to get to though.

WIZ-KID

Reaction score
I had the same air cleaner on mine. Replaced that when I did an intercooler and intake mod. Also 3" downpipe into 4" exhaust. Making the engine breath easier, especially the difference from that Banks intake made a huge difference.

Buffetkiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have gotten the oil pressure gauge figured out! Thanks guys. I have some more questions tho... i seem to not have any wire or any split in the harness for a wire to (im guessing) the high idle solenoid. My truck does not kick into high idle on a cold start. Any body have an idea? It would be the little silver guy

You must be registered for see images attach

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of all the forums I'm members of this one is the best!!! Very informative, no bullying, no dumb question, helpful, humorous, tons of tec articles, etc, etc
Just wish I had the hours to look & research....

But mostly as IDIBRONCO said "We also try to keep it that way"!
James

Come on, I ask plenty of dumb questions o_O

Nice truck and welcome to the forum :Thumbs Up

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Come on, I ask plenty of dumb questions o_O

Devil making me say this..... When I got a dumb question I just try to be quiet & wait till you or someone else asks it, then I got my answer. hahaha LOL LOL

Actually I'm full of dumb questions, just always so busy I don't got time to ask or look round.
Man I do wish I had time to look & research....there is tons & tons of info on OB!! Also tons & tons of VERY helpful folks on here!!
Thanks to everyone!!!

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of the sensor wiring along with the cold advance, the fuel shut off and the high idle are in the glow plug wiring harness. It's easy to see without that turbo stuff in the way.

It looks to me like one of us has the wiring routed the wrong way around the thermostat housing.

In this pic is the wiring that splits off the connector for the high idle solenoid, etc.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back to your original question.You have pod gauges? Any chance one of them is a pyrometer? Exhaust temp is a good indicator of fueling. Low exhaust temp under load would show low fuel delivery and you would see reduced performance.

Buffetkiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i am looking at the right thing right? And dgr i have oil pressure, pyro, and boost. My exhaust runs about 250 idleing and will reach 1100+ when pulling a hill with my foot in it

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you are getting enough fuel if your exhaust can hit 1100.

In your pic, on the right side, you have the wires to the fuel shutoff solenoid and the cold advance. You can see those two connections in the top of my pic. Trace that loom back towards and around your upper hose connection. There should be a Y with the wire for the high idle, which I am holding in my hand.

I believe a guy could splice into the cold advance if the high idle wire is missing. Don't know why it would be missing....

Also, I think that loom that goes in front of your top hose should be behind it. I just disconnected that whole harness for other work and mine was behind the hose. Of course, I'm not the first person to work on my truck.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I have gotten the oil pressure gauge figured out! Thanks guys. I have some more questions tho... i seem to not have any wire or any split in the harness for a wire to (im guessing) the high idle solenoid. My truck does not kick into high idle on a cold start. Any body have an idea? It would be the little silver guy

In this picture, I can barely see something underneath the rubber boot on the front side of your fast idle solenoid. It appears to be plastic and also is the same color as the plastic on the connectors on the other side of the pump are. I would guess that this is the wire that attaches to the fast idle solenoid.

Buffetkiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny how people on the internet with a trained eye can see better than you can... thanks bronco u were totally right. Now to wait for the morning to see if it works!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Funny how people on the internet with a trained eye can see better than you can... thanks bronco u were totally right. Now to wait for the morning to see if it works!
You're certainly welcome. I do know that they can fail, but these seems to be extremely reliable. When I was replacing these engines for a living, I almost never replaced a solenoid on a 6.9/7.3. The 6.2/6.5 Chevys, on the other hand, it seemed like at least 20% of those were bad. All you need to do is to turn on the ignition and see if the plunger kicks out. If you can't tell for sure, work the throttle arm on the side of the pump by hand. It should kick out and hold the arm slightly away from it's resting position. If it doesn't work, check to see if it has power. If it doesn't, it's probably the switch which is on the passenger's side head, right underneath the thermostat housing. Check for power on both wires on this switch. With the key on, both wires should have power. If not, try to wiggle the plug or unplug it and plug it back in a few times. Sometimes, you can have a bad connection here and this will clean some crud off of the terminals on the switch. If that doesn't work, check for continuity through the switch. You should have continuity between the two spades on the switch when the engine is cold. If there isn't any, then the switch is bad. If you have to replace it, you'll need to drain some antifreeze from the radiator, otherwise, you'll have a mess when you remove the switch. You don't need to remove the thermostat housing in order to replace the switch unless you want to. I'll take a shallow 3/8" drive 7/8" socket (a deep one won't work)on a long extension and drive it onto the switch. You'll bend or break off the prongs on the switch, but it's bad anyway so who cares? If there isn't power to the solenoid, you can also run a jumper wire from battery positive to the spade on the solenoid. Hope this helps.