Can you guys tell me about my new 6.9

Buffetkiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just pick up an 87 turbo. Its a banks. Can you tell me what turbo it has? My roommate has a 7.3 na and mine does not pull much harder than his does. Building about 7 psi at 3k rpm.

It wont let me post pictures. I have one of my motor with the turbo but oh well. Ive been reading and i believe theres 2 types of banks turbos that came in kits for these trucks?

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the new truck! You get the 5sp manual? I can't help you on the turbo info, but I'm sure someone else here can. BTW it's not a stock configuration (the turbo), so you may need to add more details to get help without pics.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yeah its a bit hard without photos. Is it like this:

You must be registered for see images attach

or this?

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't help much regarding turbo's, but if I had to guess why it's not pulling harder than the NA, I would say your injection pump is probably worn and/or you need to adjust your timing and fueling. My NA truck with its fresh IP will put a worn out turbo truck to shame, but if the turbo truck has fresh parts then it's no contest. Turbo trucks will also really put the NA trucks to shame the moment they hit a hill, NA's fall on their face when going uphill while turbo trucks just keep pulling.

lsaami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a c6 tranny i believe. Found out how to add photos!

I believe that's a 1st gen banks turbo. 7 PSI seems a bit low if that's max you're seeing. Mine on a 7.3 will see about 9-10. Do you have any starting issues? smoke under load?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Is the 7PSI empty, loaded, or pulling a heavy trailer? If it's empty, that's not all that bad.

Buffetkiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No starting issue. And it puffs when u lay into it but goes away and burns clean after about 2 seconds.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You've definitely got a C6 transmission. These are great transmission behind a gas engine. Behind a IDI, they work OK (my opinion). They will slip some, especially when compared to a standard. They seem a little bit sluggish from what I can remember. This could be the difference. As suggested above, it could be fuel system condition or even timing related.

Buffetkiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya ive been reading about timing for these things. Cant find a good article on how to.
How are u so sure its a c6? Jw im like 99% sure it is cause its a 3speed

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
How are u so sure its a c6? Jw im like 99% sure it is cause its a 3speed
The C6 was the only 3 speed automatic offered behind a IDI. I can tell by looking at you picture of the engine compartment. On the driver's side of the injector pump, there's a piece with vacuum lines hooked up to it. This is your VRV (vacuum something something). This helps to control the shift points in your transmission. The E4OD doesn't have any vacuum going to it. It's all electric. You may have an adjustable vacuum regulator on the transmission. If not, the VRV is the onlly way that you can adjust the shift points. If it's set up like factory, there's two phillips head screws holding it to the side of the pump. You barely loosen them and move the VRV backward or forward to adjust the shift points. I don't know which way is which. If you're happy with the RPM that it shifts at, I wouldn't bother messing with it.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm also assuming that if somebody switched pumps from one with a C6 to a standard truck, the vacuum lines wouldn't still be hooked up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88