Cab swap

firehonomichl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this mite be a stupid question but can you take a 4 door cab and a short box and put on a ext cab long box? The truck is an 89 f250 5 speed 4x4. So is it possible or is that just stupid to ask?! Lol thanks in advance

irhunter

Reaction score
Not stupid. People have done way stranger things.

I bet you will need to fab some cab and bed mounts...but, maybe someone will come along with first hand knowledge.

Can you get the two trucks, side by side? Would be easy enough to measure where the mounts are, and where they need to be.

Roy

firehonomichl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I was gonna start looking for a truck that didn’t have a motor or trans and do it but maybe it would be easier to just change the motor and trans over? Lol maybe a lot less work

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the OBS trucks these two formats are technically a different wheel base. EXLB is 155" and CCSB is 154". Where that inch is taken from I haven't figured out yet but since you're planning to go from EXLB to CCSB the length is in your favor. If there is a difference, you can probably cheat the bed mounting enough to where it's not noticeable.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I can't speak for Ford specifically, but with Dodge and GM, the 'low' portion of the frame under the cab is longer on a crewcab.

This would mean either:
- channeling the rear crew floor for the frame rails
- mounting the cab 'high' - essentially a custom body lift

The 1" difference in wheelbase barely matters. On many trucks, an inch one way of the other - front or rear - isn't noticeable.

firehonomichl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info fellas. Maybe I’ll see if I can find a CCSB for sale and park next to it and do some measuring.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Yes it totally doable. Here's the 1997 F250 PSD that I helped a friend do this same thing to. The extra inch is between the cab and the bed. He was in charge of the mounts so I don't have much info on that. Her bought it as a rollover back in 98 or 99. He still has it as far as I know.

You must be registered for see images attach

firehonomichl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it totally doable. Here's the 1997 F250 PSD that I helped a friend do this same thing to. The extra inch is between the cab and the bed. He was in charge of the mounts so I don't have much info on that. Her bought it as a rollover back in 98 or 99. He still has it as far as I know.

Nice! Thanks I just know all my drivetrain and everything is good so that’s why I figured I would just do that cab and box

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. I have a standard cab.

I would really like an extra cab. What is that? About another 8 inches or so? I don't want 4 doors. And I don't need back seats. Just want a little extra space in the cab.

Thing is, how are you going to do that without replacing the bed as well? I want to keep a full size bed. But that extra cab space has to come from somewhere!

Is it even possible to move the bed back 8 inches? Doesn't sound like a good idea, regardless.You'd be putting more weight behind the rear wheels, etc...

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a standard cab, with a long bed. And whatever frame that those are on. I assume a standard frame.

My question is, is there any way, to work in an extended cab, and keep the long bed, on the frame I have?

If I have to go to a whole other frame as well, what's the point? I might as well look for a whole truck that already has the cab and bed that I prefer. I am not looking to do that, nor willing.

I don't think it's possible to just swap my standard cab, for a slightly longer cab, and keep the long bed, on the frame I have. Does anyone know if that is correct, or not?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I don't think it's possible to just swap my standard cab, for a slightly longer cab, and keep the long bed, on the frame I have. Does anyone know if that is correct, or not?

Attached a list of the wheelbases so you can do the math.

Moving the wheelwells on a pickup bed seems like a lot of work for something that ends up looking awkward. Better to go with a flatdeck. Build it with some extra aft overhang, and/or a removable extension to get a full 8' when you need it.

A beefy lumber rack may preclude the need for a longbed.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Didn't want to hijack a thread. Just didn't see any point in a new one for the same subject.

:D

By the way. Been wondering for a while. Does anyone have the names for the different kinds of larger cabs? And pictures to go with the names? I am never quite sure what I am describing is accurate, and never sure of the name.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
We used 'Xcab' as shorthand back in autowrecking days... for cabs larger than Std cab but smaller than a Crew (fullsize 4door). Add 3dr or 4dr to Xcab as applicable.