Bypassing my stock water separator 6.9/84'

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I'm going to be doing some work on my fuel delivery system such as doing HoH in front of the FSV, maybe removing the steel lines for a stretch to replace with hose and adding a new flat plate heat exchanger and a new lift pump. I thought I'd also do away with my stock water separator - the only time I've ever drained it was when I didn't know any better and got air into the system.

I'm just going to bypass it and yank it out. Just wondering - should I bother putting in a new water separator somewhere? Or just delete it altogether?

Ideas?

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
My vote would be replacement over elimination. You definitely need to keep water away from the IP. Your easiest plug-and-play is probably going to be the 7.3 setup, since the filter and water separator are one and the same.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My old metal tank water-seperator rode useless and bypassed on the fire-wall for years, until I removed it one day and hung it in the barn.

Since then, I have installed a genuine LUCAS glass-bottom water-seperating sediment-bowl.

I like being able to look through the glass and see just what is in there.

Also, I like being able to easily remove the bowl, dump it out, rinse it, and reinstall.

With those solid can-type deals, a big slug of algae, dead rat, or whatever, could be inside the seperator for years and no way to know.

For all the same reasons, I like the see-thru GoldenRod filters as a pre-filter.

These have numerous advantages.

Clear see-thru.

Deep reservoir.

Water drain-****.

Water-seperating cartridge available.

The cartridge threads on independent of the clear bowl, such that the bowl can be removed, rinsed, and re-installed, without disturbing the filter-cartridge.

Were I you, I would be tempted to install a GoldenRod in the same location as the old water-seperator.

On my personal truck, there is a whole gauntlet of filters for the fuel to have to run.

First is a GoldenRod, then the LUCAS, then a De-Bug algae-killer (and it does work;Sweet), then a clear inline strainer/filter to keep the pump-screen clear, then a FleetGuard FS1221 water-seperating fuel-filter with integral drain.

I dislike those hollow-bottom filters that require a seperate drain/sensor be screwed into them, as they are just a recipe for trouble.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
im thinking of getting rid of both filters and just running a fs1000 from fleet gaurd and thats it but the problem that i might run into is where to mount the thing

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thhe 6.9 and 7.3 filters require different heads, the 7.3 uses a 1" filter thread and the 6.9 has the 5/8" fitting. Whether fittings interchange between the 7.3 and 6.9 head I am not sure, but you can swap the whole filter head assembly between the 7.3 and the 6.9 and it bolts right up to the tower and the fuel lines.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you get the measurement specs for whichever filter-head/filter you are currently using, I am sure you can do a little cross-referencing/homework and come up with a solid-bottom integral water-drain filter water-seperating fuel-filter that will screw right on.

http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/en/index.shtml

https://dynamic.donaldson.com/webc/WebStore/search/cross_reference.html

http://catalog.baldwinfilter.com/

http://www.filterbarn.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=262

^^^^^Here are some good sites to do your homework. ^^^^^

When you come up with something, post your findings.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
As a result of this thread I'm considering removing the stock separator and replacing it with a different situation. Maybe a Goldenrod bowl with the 10 micron waterblock. Anyone know if these bypass when full?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe a Goldenrod bowl with the 10 micron waterblock. Anyone know if these bypass when full?

No way for the GoldenRod, or any fuel-filter for that matter, to by-pass.

Bypassing would completely negate the reason for the filter.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Wouldn't the flow of the fuel pump itself, be what you base your decision on? With our trucks having the return lines on them, the fuel pump will flow as much as it can. I know there's going to be some friction loss, but wouldn't they flow as much as possible?

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
No way for the GoldenRod, or any fuel-filter for that matter, to by-pass.

Bypassing would completely negate the reason for the filter.

I know it's not quite the same animal, but our locomotives have two fuel filters on them. The normal pressure of the fuel system is 45psi. Our filter heads have a 60psi bypass valve between them. If the primary filter clogs up, it will automatically bypass the fuel to the secondary filter. Both filters have a sight glass on top of them. If you see fuel in the one atop the secondary filter, you know the primary one is clogged up. I'd love to have a similar system on my truck! ;Sweet

If the bypass valve could be adjusted for our MUCH lower pressures, I may have to find myself one to experiment with! :D

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
manky I have a racor with a plastic bowl on the bottom cheap if you want it. New element already on.

crockettcreek

Reaction score
water seperator

I went through the same problems. I went to oreilly auto parts and ordered a new filter head and filter by wix. The holes in the new head are same pattern as old seperator. You have to redrill them to size to fit but will work perfectly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin