Replacement water separator idea

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered one of these filter heads from Ebay. I'm hoping to mount it where my stock one is (on the firewall). I guess it's a China copy of a Racor 490R10. If it fits well I'll see how long it lasts and if it's junk then at least I'll know that the Racor will work here and then I'll spend the $ for the Racor.

I've had it in my head that some day I'm gonna wish I had a primer. And I don't trust the stock filter that's still on my truck. So I'll be killing 2 birds with one stone if this works.

Attachments

• e.jpg
    e.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 6
  • r.jpg
    r.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And I believe it's not tied to an expensive filter.
"You can use Racor S3202 listed below and if you do not want to use the clear bowl you can use Wix 33118 21 Micron, Purolator PER96, Baldwin BF580, BF5813, Donaldson P556915 25 Micron, or Fram P1146 replacement elements."

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right on, where does the water get separated out to - does it just drop off or you still need a separator on the filter to release?

Reminds me I gotta drain mine.. ..

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like it can use a filter with a drain or not as long as it's 1-14 thread and it's not too tall for the location?
I'll be looking for one with a clear bowl and a drain. I guess 10 micron seems to be the consensus here?
I also noticed that some filters have a sensor port so I wonder if I can still rig up my warning light.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought this one. https://www.ebay.com/itm/222018225884 It came with a genuine racor filter. Your quote ironically is in the listing of the one I purchased. So did you purchase the same one I did?

If you're using the stock filter above the valve cover with this racor, run the 30 micron racor. If your eliminating the stock filter setup, go with the 10 or 2 micron racor. The sensor that is commonly in the racor bowl is a continuity sensor. Some trucks will have something like that stock, and if it doesn't racor offers a module you can install https://www.fisheriessupply.com/racor-water-detection-module-kit-2-light-under-dash

I don't think your stock vacuum switch sensor will work in that bowl.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was tempted to order the same one that you did but the filter looks too tall to fit where the OEM one is. I'm hoping to find a shorter filter. I can find some on Ebay that look like they'd work but they all seem to be Chinese copies. And the dealers for real Racor seller's websites really suck to search unless you have a part #. I will look through that seller's offerings. Thanks.

That seller also has this one but, even at 10", it seems like it would be a tight fit.

Last edited:

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing you mounted yours somewhere other than the stock location?
It's starting to look like it may be tough to find a filter short enough to fit the stock location. I'm not giving up. There's just so many variations in Racor's catalog.
What is the min. GPH I should be looking at for a 6.9 n/a?

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So question on water separators. Can you get ones that Cat separator cartridges will fit? Even if they don’t fit ones with the primer. I have an electric lift pump so a primer isn’t necessary in my case, either one is fine in my case. Sorry to rob your thread…

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cat filters are tall so it might have to be relocated a bit higher… idk that’s why I’m asking

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've read a lot about filters today. The manufacturers (mostly) list the specs.
The head I bought has 1-14 threads that the filter spins onto.
Then you need to look at the diameter.
Then you need to look at the GPH and filter fineness (microns).
Then the height (if it matters to your location).

Also, you need to look at the inlet/outlet threads of the head. Some are 1/4" NPT, some are 3/8" NPT, some are metric. I took a chance on 3/8" NPT but I don't know how that will play out with the stock fuel lines at the stock head that I'll be removing.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a 500FG Racor on the 86 F-250, you can use the 2, 10 or 30 micron replaceable filter.
Has a large clear bowl on the bottom with a drain petcock. Fuel flow is 60gal per hour.

They are great filters, I installed the smaller one the 200Fg on my 82 Datsun 720 KC Diesel and the 80 240D Mercedes.
I ran it 400K miles on the Datsun.
Amazing how much crap accumulates in the bottom of the bowl.

The 200FG flows 30 Gal per hour.

I was doing some Google searching and see a new one Racor came out with. (at least new to me).

150gal fuel flow per hour. That should handle the pumped up 4 turbo maxed out engines....LOL.

Do a Google search for Racor Filters and all kinds of stuff comes up.

Goat

MadMac

Reaction score
I ordered one of these filter heads from Ebay. I'm hoping to mount it where my stock one is (on the firewall). I guess it's a China copy of a Racor 490R10. If it fits well I'll see how long it lasts and if it's junk then at least I'll know that the Racor will work here and then I'll spend the $ for the Racor.

I've had it in my head that some day I'm gonna wish I had a primer. And I don't trust the stock filter that's still on my truck. So I'll be killing 2 birds with one stone if this works.

I made this conversion 8 years ago on my 85 F250. The 490R10 was too tall - I used the 445R10 as a direct fit replacement - it does a fantastic job. I drain it every time I check fluids, usually less than half a teaspoon. Below is a Cut/Paste from the Sept 2014 order - included the fittings, which all fit perfectly (I was shocked enough at the time to remember to include them here…).

Note: The first order was the knock off R90T - which I returned - it was $120 at the time - seller was BoatStore.com. The truck is offsite or I’d include a photo… if someone needs a photo, I’ll go get one.

The primer has saved me multiple times, highly recommended. This conversion fixed all major starting and vacuum problems I had with this truck, which enabled fixing any remaining GP issues. Starts/runs more reliably than my wife’s current gen Honda Pilot…

Description​
Qty​
Price​
Total​
Racor RK 30770 REPL KIT,CHECK VALVE-3/8"NPTF​
1​
52.22​
52.22​
Racor 913-n6-h6 90* HOSE BARB 3/8​
3​
8.32​
24.96​
Racor 445R10 FUEL FILTER/WATER SEPARATOR​
1​
173.91​
173.91​

[update - with photos and narrative]
@Brian VT - Two things of interest in the photos there: 1) One of the photos has a tape measure... as best I could parallel to the front, bottom starting at the front fender. 2) I capped off the two inlets on the right (front ref pt) - so only two ports in use.

On the left side the forward (front ref) port has the valve and is the inlet. I took the photo before I wiped off the valve... to confirm. The rear port feeds the lift pump. One of the phiotos shows how much room there is *above* the stock mount.

Attachments

• IMG_6361.JPG
    IMG_6361.JPG
    351.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6362.JPG
    IMG_6362.JPG
    400.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6363.JPG
    IMG_6363.JPG
    325.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6364.JPG
    IMG_6364.JPG
    258.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very helpful. Thank you. Pics would be great.
Also, what # is the actual filter you are using? I'm planning to use the Racor S3204P. Hoping it's short enough.
And your parts list suggests that you are using all 4 ports on the head. Could you let me (us) know what lines to connect where? And which one has the check valve? ($100. Ouch.)

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe a cheap ($10) inline check valve instead?

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 2

MadMac

Reaction score
Very helpful. Thank you. Pics would be great.
Also, what # is the actual filter you are using? I'm planning to use the Racor S3204P. Hoping it's short enough.
And your parts list suggests that you are using all 4 ports on the head. Could you let me (us) know what lines to connect where? And which one has the check valve? ($100. Ouch.)
Lets see what the photos say… could take me a couple of days to get out to the truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online