'87 F250 | swapped stock water separator for 7.3 head and filter, water in fuel light intermittent

John_piv

Reaction score
Hey y'all, I deleted my '87 6.9 water separator due to an air intrusion problem. I've replaced it with a 7.3 filter head and water separator filter. I've only run it for about a hundred miles, and my water and fuel light is intermittent. I don't even think I have anything hooked up to find the water in the fuel. Cracking the bleeder on the filter, it's plain diesel. What wires should I check to make sure I'm not shorting somewhere? Thanks!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I would guess that those wires are on the original separator. They would also be in that area if you removed it.
You don't have the right wiring for the Water in Fuel light to work with your current filter/separator. That sender is on the bottom of the sediment bowl of on the bottom of the filter if you have a one piece filter with that option.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
The light turns on when the sensor wire is grounded. If it's not hooked up, tape it up and aside.

John_piv

Reaction score
I would guess that those wires are on the original separator. They would also be in that area if you removed it.
You don't have the right wiring for the Water in Fuel light to work with your current filter/separator. That sender is on the bottom of the sediment bowl of on the bottom of the filter if you have a one piece filter with that option.
I'm just running the wix fuel/water filter with the 12 point drain on the bottom, no sender. Do you mean on the filter or the filter head?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Some have the option if having the sender being on the bottom of the filter. One, for example, is a Hastings FF 1039-SP. There isn't any of this type of sender on the filter heard. Water is heavier than fuel so it would be pointless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online