New water separator with Duralift

PossumTruck

Reaction score
The water separator on my 6.9 has been bypassed since I acquired it several years ago. In that time, I replaced a facet cube with a Duralift (what it had when I got it, was getting starvation symptoms). I have now purchased an aftermarket water separator/filter to run with the factory filter head. Would it matter whether I plumb the new separator/filter on the suction or pressure side of the duralift? The components will all be close together, so i dont have a space issue for mounting (angle iron mounted to the filter head bracket where to drualift currently resides, with room for the new filter).

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
No it does not matter. Several HD trucks have the water separator on the suction side with zero issues, and some on the low pressure side no issues.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Well, for what it's worth, Racor/Parker says to put their W/S filter on the suction side. I have mine on the pressure side because I mounted it in the factory W/S location, but deleted the mech pump (after W/S) and put a Holley Red right after the FSV (before W/S). I figure something might be better than nothing. I suspect the worry is that the fuel pump pressure might put the water out, since it's pushing fuel through the W/S instead of pulling.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Iam using the mechanical fuel pump.
I installed the Racor 500FG Fuel/Water separator.
It`s mounted where the original 6.9 separator was from the factory.
The Filter is a 2 micron which is on the suction side.
Been working just fine.

I also have a manual Primer Pump mounted to the mounting bracket for the Racor. Looks something like this one.

This type pump, you need to unscrew the knurled top, it pops up and you just push up and down to prime the system.
There is an up grade to the Bosch Pump, nothing to unscrew, just push it and it pumps.
This is just for the picture, many sellers have this primer.

Goat

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Iam using the mechanical fuel pump.
I installed the Racor 500FG Fuel/Water separator.
It`s mounted where the original 6.9 separator was from the factory.
The Filter is a 2 micron which is on the suction side.
Been working just fine.

I also have a manual Primer Pump mounted to the mounting bracket for the Racor. Looks something like this one.

This type pump, you need to unscrew the knurled top, it pops up and you just push up and down to prime the system.
There is an up grade to the Bosch Pump, nothing to unscrew, just push it and it pumps.
This is just for the picture, many sellers have this primer.

Goat

2 micron might be too fine. Initially i had a (used) 2 micron filter on it with the mechanical pump and it was fuel starving it at highway speeds. I unhooked it until I got new, less fine elements. But then I also went to Holley Red because mech was worn out and weeping to the ground.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just stumbled across this thread doing some searching.

I have never had a Fuel starvation problem using a 2 micron filter. If the Filter plugs up, yeah there will be a starvation problem.
Some people say a 2 micron will plug up too quickly, and recommend to use say a 10 micron or???
I have used the 200FG smaller one on my 82 Datsun Diesel and on my 1980 Mercedes 240D.
In 30 years on the Datsun, it plugged up 3 times only because I got lax on my Maintenance.
One time on the 240, but it had 22K miles on it. Way too long on the filter.
Should change them every other Oil Change, and not have any problems.

If I do have a problem, I remove the top of the Filter Lid, pull off the paper Filter, top of with Fuel, ATF etc... replace the lid, and off I go.

It`s amazing the crud it catches and the water etc... in the bottom of the *****. (B-o-w-e-l) That`s a bad work?
I have a hose drain and flush it out every filter change.

Goat