Buyer Advice

squeekyM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Folks,

It's been a while since I last posted on the boards. I'm going to look at a '94 F350 CC w/ 7.3L factory turbo later this week. I'm hoping someone can give me a few pointer on what to look for outside the basics. At one point, I recall there being a good link to pre-purchase inspection info.

I remember reading about a simple way to check for excessive blowby. It had to do with removing the oil cap or pulling the hose off the CDR. Can someone refresh my memory?

Also, the truck has approximately 180k miles. I haven't yet asked the owner about the use of SCAs. If the coolant never been maintained properly(SCAs), should I pass on this truck altogether? Please let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
No sca and that mileage tells me to look closely at it. Could the engine have been replaced is a good question to ask too. Ask how many miles are on the fuel system. Has the oil cooler o-rings been replaced. If its got a zf 5 spped standard trans was the dual mass flywheel clutch ever replaced and with what... If its an auto it will be the 4 speed E4OD trans... Was it ever replaced...

squeekyM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I know the fuel system (pump & injectors) have never been touched. It is an automatic E4OD, the trans was replaced with a new unit just about 5K miles ago. The owner is asking $6K. That seems a little steep. What do you think would be a fair price, interior is clean, exterior is straight with good original paint (few dents). Engine compartment is dry (dusty, not powerwashed) with no appearant leaks. What do you think?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the coolant never been maintained properly(SCAs), should I pass on this truck altogether? Please let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance!

for the asking price of 6k (if its 2wd,thats too much imho,even if it is a cream puff and a crew cab) and you find out SCA are not present,nor have ever been (if he's honest about it) then id walk away.
when the price is right (meaning even the engine blows tomorrow) you buy it anyway and prepare to toss an engine in it.at 6k though,and 150k+ you must know for sure she's been properly maintained.the last thing you want after paying 6k for a truck is a hydro locked engine due to neglect.
ask for proof of trans rebuild.i suspect he's got the price up,due to this costing him half his asking price or better.this doesn't mean the resale on the truck goes up because he spent a lot on it.vehicles are not like houses.even that market isn't much to brag about right now lol.

squeekyM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. It is a 4wd truck. I'll be sure to ask about the SCAs, if they have not been used I'll probably walk away unless the price drops significantly. I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online