Bumper cutouts

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I've got my *new* turbo engine all ready to drop in and have a week to kill before my helper can make it over , so I was wondering if anyone had done any custom bumper cutouts for airflow like the factory turbo trucks.

I've got a 3" wheel air cuter and a heavy 4" electric and was wondering what kind of damage I can do to this thing :D

Anyone got any nice pictures? I'm open to suggestions here.

Thanks----------Robert

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
Maybe somethin like the stock? Then cover the edge with some black rubber hose with a slit cut down the length?

Some pic's I've found from this thread Lightning air dam install

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Adrianspeeder

dualexhaust

Reaction score
I saw the plastic trim for the cut-out bumper in an LMC catalog last week. I don't remember how much the trim was, but it would keep things looking clean.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I cut 2 holes in my bumper that are 4 inches top to bottom and 8 inches wide. I still have the license plate up front in the original position. What you need to do is measure 2 inches from the center of the bumper bolts and then draw your holes you want. If your any closer than 2 inches from the bolts you will be cutting into the bumper supports found behind the bumper.

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
If my rig is any indication the bumper vents are probably more cosmetic than needed for cooling. My '86 bumper is solid. I have a AC condenser and a big transmission cooler in front of my radiator and seldom hear my fan come on even in AZ and NV when it is 100 degrees + and I am making 14 psi boost pulling long hills. I have a Isspro water temp gauge and it never goes over 215 degrees.

Jim

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I saw the plastic trim for the cut-out bumper in an LMC catalog last week. I don't remember how much the trim was, but it would keep things looking clean.

$30 at LMC, that's not too bad and it looks a lot nicer than some of the cobbled together options that I had in mind ;Sweet Although I bet the split hose bit would look decent and last a good long time.

---------Robert