Brown Truck Under the Knife Project - Engine

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
My brother who's a machinist is saying that dropping a valve will crack it, so that's a possibility that it got dropped at the shop. I was also told some time ago that if a valve is not lapped or ground properly that it could create a weak spot in the valve.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I have no idea, and at this point dont really care. When you take into consideration the weight of the truck, and the strong agressive clutch, I would not put it past a new driver to hit the wrong gear and send this thing spining to the moon.

So that was from your dump truck then. I guess I didn't catch that.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Having worked for many years in a machine shop, I can tell you that they don't (and really can't) check valves for stress cracks. What they can check if for bent or burnt valves and that's just done by experience. Bent will also show up when you face the valves and they are chucked and spun against a grinding wheel.

As far as recourse...my degree is in business management, I've run several auto related businesses, parts store, machine shop, three different garages, etc. If you were my customer, I would assess the damage, and if I felt (and believe me, I'm fair, but not all machine shops are) the shop had ANY involvement in the cause of this, I would repair the issue, and at least cut you a deal on the gaskets, etc. It's kind of hard to tell from here, but if the failure was totally my shops fault, I would take care of it.

There is an adage in business, and I'm sure that Diesel Care is quite aware of it thus the aggravation with our "list", and that is one happy customer will tell/recommend you to a friend, one unhappy customer will tell everyone who'll listen...that adage is very true and can/has caused many a business to lose customers. Now, with that being said, if you came in demanding I give you everything and then some, you're not going to get anywhere. So, if you find it is an issue, go in with an open mind and calm temper, tell them there is an issue you feel is possibly at least somewhat their fault. I'm kind of wondering about the shop you used because of the surfacing, etc. I would also recommend this to ANYONE going to have head machined, when you take them in, ask about minimum thickness and the setup of the precups...if they don't seem to know what you are talking about, I'd load up my heads and go elsewhere. ANYONE who's done diesel headwork has dealt with pre-cups and has the tools to cut them and their seats. We had a very fine diamond cutter that we used to resurface the combustion side face of the pre-cups.

Anyway, good luck with it all.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
My brother who's a machinist is saying that dropping a valve will crack it, so that's a possibility that it got dropped at the shop. I was also told some time ago that if a valve is not lapped or ground properly that it could create a weak spot in the valve.

Sodium or otherwise filled valves I would say could be prone to this "cracking" but a solid valve, I'm not sure I buy. Dropping them WILL bend them in many cases, but as I said in my previous post, that should have been found in facing them.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I have no idea, and at this point dont really care. When you take into consideration the weight of the truck, and the strong agressive clutch, I would not put it past a new driver to hit the wrong gear and send this thing spining to the moon.

yea you can always be going to fast and shift into to low of a gear and pass 4000 by a great amount and float the stock valve springs:eek:

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Thank you very much for that input man. I really appreciate it. I know the hardest thing for me to do is going to be keeping my temper in check. My patience has grown very thin with how much is used in every other aspect of this project. I know with the whole drive shaft debacle I would have never got them to right their wrong there had I not got nasty with them. They thought they were going to walk all over me and make me pay them another $200 to make another drive shaft.
I know part of my problem with this machinist, him taking so long to complete the job, was my fault for being too nice to him. I need to stop that and start being more aggressive from the get go. Being too nice has been a bad aspect of my personality for a long time and people tend to take advantage of it far too often.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
But see thats the whole thing. My exhaust temps were right around 800* which is nothing, and I was running under 2500rpm which is also nothing. I've wound out the POS 6.9 in my moms crew cab (the one that had 4 gallons of water in it when we picked it up) to 3800rpm at 1250*egt just trying my best to blow that POS up and it wouldn't do it. For just being machined and checked for any imperfections there shouldn't be any problems whatsoever running it at 2500 even at 1250*, neither of which I did.

I'm trying to get this engine to run as most efficiently as possible, I won't be running a damaged turbo. If its damaged it will be fixed. Especially since that turbo has less than 100 miles on it as well.

these motor are tuff, 2500 rpm and 800 egts thats like idling in mine, i see 3800 rpm and god knows what for egts pretty regular:eek:

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Thank you very much for that input man. I really appreciate it. I know the hardest thing for me to do is going to be keeping my temper in check. My patience has grown very thin with how much is used in every other aspect of this project. I know with the whole drive shaft debacle I would have never got them to right their wrong there had I not got nasty with them. They thought they were going to walk all over me and make me pay them another $200 to make another drive shaft.
I know part of my problem with this machinist, him taking so long to complete the job, was my fault for being too nice to him. I need to stop that and start being more aggressive from the get go. Being too nice has been a bad aspect of my personality for a long time and people tend to take advantage of it far too often.

That's something you'll gain with age! ;Sweet I know for years, even though I had worked in several garages with two of what I consider the best mechanics in the business, when I went to the machine shop I was somewhat intimidated. I finally found a machine shop I was comfortable with, and one day I was running a 5 bay garage and the parts store (I started as the manager of the parts store and immediately reduced their inventory from 500,000 to 180,000 and started almost doubling their profit as they had 200,000 in exhaust that was higher priced than what any muffler shop would install it for) so they put me in charge of the garage as well, which also doubled profits my first year. Anyway, the owner/operator of said machine shop called me one day when I was ready to quit but knew I had a family to feed, and asked me to come run the machine shop, so I did. He quickly found I could make him money working in the shop as well, so I did everything out there in between customers and in turn, we taught each other a ton, I taught him about business, he taught me about machine shop work. It was the hardest job I ever left because we were like family, we did many things outside the shop together, etc., but I had a state job offered to me to instruct in business and auto parts/mechanical that I just couldn't turn down.

At any rate, there are great shops out there, just have to find them, and when you do, you will just feel comfortable with them. I take my stuff to Oak's Machine and just tell Buddy (owner/operator) to fix it and don't need to say anymore, I have that kind of trust with them. He knows I'm of the type if it looks remotely bad, I want it replaced and so that's how he does my work. But my first few visits there were apprehensive as well, because I knew he knew more than I did about machine work.

I think having read many of your posts, you and I have a very similar mentality. When I was 20 maybe even till I was 30 or so, I had a temper and things like this would aggravate me to no end. I've mellowed considerably in the last ten years and honestly, I attribute that to becoming a father almost 8 years ago and looking at things much differently! Just try to keep your temper in check and I'll bet the guy will work with you on it.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yea. I'm gonna have to either go down to his shop tomorrow or call him about it. Atleast tell him I've had a serious issue arise in the engine and that it may be directly related to his work. Because I'm not going to pull the engine apart in this truck until next spring. I don't have the money to buy another valley pan, turbo exhaust turbine, and any of the other parts I'll need to fix it if he doesn't cover anything. Not to mention I've been putting off two other projects of my families for the last two months while working so ******* this one. This one doesn't work and it isn't going anywhere except out to the pasture for the winter, I'll get to it next spring. I can't ask my brother nor my dad to keep working on this truck when they have both been waiting to do their projects for several months. It's time to put this one literally out to pasture for a while.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Yea. I'm gonna have to either go down to his shop tomorrow or call him about it. Atleast tell him I've had a serious issue arise in the engine and that it may be directly related to his work. Because I'm not going to pull the engine apart in this truck until next spring. I don't have the money to buy another valley pan, turbo exhaust turbine, and any of the other parts I'll need to fix it if he doesn't cover anything. Not to mention I've been putting off two other projects of my families for the last two months while working so ******* this one. This one doesn't work and it isn't going anywhere except out to the pasture for the winter, I'll get to it next spring. I can't ask my brother nor my dad to keep working on this truck when they have both been waiting to do their projects for several months. It's time to put this one literally out to pasture for a while.

Sometimes that's not a bad thing to do, come back at it with a different attitude as well! lol

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Yea after it sets a while it will just hit you one day that you want to fix your old truck, and you will fix it then you will finally be able to enjoy it

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Good luck on that. The longer you go without pulling it apart the easier it is for him do deny any claim you have. I'd feel him out and if he's willing to do anything for ya then pull it apart quick or get his word in writing. Then hope the business stays open long enough.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I wouldnt even contact Him until You find out what is wrong. You could come out with egg all over Your face.

Hybrid455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pressurize the cylinder with the valves closed as previously suggested and see where the air is going. Out the exhaust, Intake, crankcase? Does the glow plug show any signs of damage? Is this the cylinder that popped off the injector cap? If so time to pull it and look at it closely but pressurize the cylinder first. Keep the faith and don't jump the gun or speculate too much. Be methodical and put all pieces of information together. Don't assume anything..... you know what that does right?

Hybrid455

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'd at least find out what is the matter with it first! ;Really

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online