broken hood release cable

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled my hood release this evening to check my oil and the damn cable broke right at the pull handle under the dash.:mad:

I have a feeling that this is going to be a hard item to find. Does anyone have an easy source to a place that might still manufacture what I need?

I dont want one from a junkyard but if I have to, I will do that as a last resort. Thanks!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow... That really suxs big time... Hope the oil was up and its just something that can wait. Probaly the dealer is going to be the onlt rue place for an exact replacement item. Getting the hood open will be the real test. Probably gonna need to cut a big @zz hole in the hood to get it open.....:eek::D Actually someone here posted how to reach in and get the hood open but I can't recall what was done. Time to start searching back a few months....

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
When my 87 hood got stuck down it was a PITA! several broke round files a few screw drivers and an hour later finally got it up!

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow... That really suxs big time... Hope the oil was up and its just something that can wait. Probaly the dealer is going to be the onlt rue place for an exact replacement item. Getting the hood open will be the real test. Probably gonna need to cut a big @zz hole in the hood to get it open.....:eek::D Actually someone here posted how to reach in and get the hood open but I can't recall what was done. Time to start searching back a few months....

The oil was full. Luckilly it broke under the dash and just before it broke, the hood popped open. I'm hoping I can get some vice grips on the cable or something under the dash, to get it back open again.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
If you look closley under the lip of the hood you will see where the cable goes through a small eye that it pulls to open the hood. Just push down on the hood (makes it release easier) and slide the latch open with a flat screwdriver or bar.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
My handle broke (the cast aluminum tore) so I had to figure a way to get under te hood. Take the grille out, and look where the cable runs into the hood release. There is an eye there, that I ran bailing twine through, and tied off. Now to open the hood I pull the bailing twine and the hood pops up like normal.

Yes, bailing twine LOL

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a spare cable if you want it. Just PM me.

Shaguardriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine also broke I use a set of needle nose plyers and pulled the cable to release it. I Gheto fabed my new pull. I pulled the cable out of the sleeve and left it connected to the latch and put a loop in it (double granny know with a loop in it) and let is hang between the grill and the radiator(without touching the radiator).

If you want a picture pm me;Sweet It works great I am too cheap to spend the $74 for a new cable. Plus I think the pull cable adds a little Hilbilly Delux:rotflmao

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine also broke I use a set of needle nose plyers and pulled the cable to release it. I Gheto fabed my new pull. I pulled the cable out of the sleeve and left it connected to the latch and put a loop in it (double granny know with a loop in it) and let is hang between the grill and the radiator(without touching the radiator).

If you want a picture pm me;Sweet It works great I am too cheap to spend the $74 for a new cable. Plus I think the pull cable adds a little Hilbilly Delux:rotflmao

The son's Dodge/Cummins is fixed as you described; it was like that when we bought it and works so well that I haven't put it way up on the priority list to get replaced.

A stout TEE-handled throttle-cable, such as the military surplus ones available from Saturn Surplus, makes a better hood cable than the factory issue one.

Fords are a breeze to get into when the cable breaks, compared to the 1st Generation Dodges.

Cable breakage is way more common on the Dodges; and, to get it open, it is either bust the plastic grille or sawzall the hood.

There are several tech articles describing some ingenious back-up emergency hood release cables scattered around the various Dodge truck forums.

These back-up cable systems allow normal operation of the factory cable, but can be called upon to work the hood release in the event that the factory one breaks.

There is no reason that one of those set-ups couldn't be fit onto our Ford trucks. ;Sweet

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So why don't you tell us what to do if the cable breaks?;Really

Notice that what I said was that Fords were a breeze, COMPARED to getting into a Dodge.

On a Ford, while someone pushes down on the hood, slide a flat screwdriver between the hood and grille and trip the mechanism.

Before a broken cable happens, make a few practice runs, with the hood open at first so you can see what it is you need to flip.

Latch the release as it would be with the hood down and trip the mechanism such that the latch flips open.

Be sure and don't slam down the hood with the latch latched. :eek:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online