Body lift, body mount, and steering shaft questions

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'm looking to put a body lift on the 97. At least 1", probably 2", maybe up to 3". I did one on my 94 and the hardest part was making the shifter boot fit. I think I'll fix it this time around by making an extension bolt to the transmission end, between it and the shifter itself.

I'm thinking of making my own lift. I'll buy correct diameter and length grade 8 bolts, and all metal locknuts. For the spacers I was thinking of using hockey pucks, but I'm not sure how tough they are. Any other good ideas? I could buy a generic 3" lift with poly spacers on it on ebay, and cut them down to the length I want, but thats $130.

Should I bother replacing the body mounts? I'm sure they're sagging, but since I have a flatbed I don't really care because there are no lines to line up. If I should replace them, what do you all recommend? I don't see how they would improve ride much, since they're so small, but ya never know.

I'm thinking of springing for a Borgeson or Flaming River steering shaft while I'm at it. That way I'll have something quality and length won't be a problem. I read on here that the Flaming River is the best, but I can't find a shaft for our trucks? Thoughts?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I'm looking to put a body lift on the 97. At least 1", probably 2", maybe up to 3". I did one on my 94 and the hardest part was making the shifter boot fit. I think I'll fix it this time around by making an extension bolt to the transmission end, between it and the shifter itself.

I'm thinking of making my own lift. I'll buy correct diameter and length grade 8 bolts, and all metal locknuts. For the spacers I was thinking of using hockey pucks, but I'm not sure how tough they are. Any other good ideas? I could buy a generic 3" lift with poly spacers on it on ebay, and cut them down to the length I want, but thats $130.

Should I bother replacing the body mounts? I'm sure they're sagging, but since I have a flatbed I don't really care because there are no lines to line up. If I should replace them, what do you all recommend? I don't see how they would improve ride much, since they're so small, but ya never know.

I'm thinking of springing for a Borgeson or Flaming River steering shaft while I'm at it. That way I'll have something quality and length won't be a problem. I read on here that the Flaming River is the best, but I can't find a shaft for our trucks? Thoughts?

1" lift I'd use hockey pucks no problem myself! I may get a sleeve that fits the bolt diameter an sleeve the puck like a shock has a metal sleeve inside the end bushing...

2" or 3" lift I'd purchase the correct lift blocks myself. and most auto parts stores can order just those lift blocks not a whole kit you would need 6 blocks total. Why buy a complete kit that has box lift parts too???

Yes the Borgeson or Flaming River steering shaft is a great idea and if you do go 3" a shaft extension is required.

As for body mounts, your call, you can or skip it, however all new makes all same correct heights and won't need be done later!

JM2CW

Al

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I have some 2" lift blocks from my lift...I'm cab and flat bed too. You'd still need some bolts, I think I have 8 blocks left from the kit (I only used 6). They are black nylon type. I paid the $130 for the setup, but knew I'd only use the 6.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a "kit" when I did my truck, just so I would for certain have all of the correct length bolts, as I did not have the option of leaving the truck all took apart while I went bolt shopping.

As for the lift-blocks, the ones that come in the kits are real neat plastic and have the option that they can be easily sawed to a custom length.

However, perfectly servicable blocks can be made by capping the ends of either round or square tubing, fairly heavy wall so they don't squish, and drilling bolt-holes through the center.

What I eventually intend to do, and the absolute best way to tackle the situation, is to cut the body-mount brackets loose from the frame and extend them the amount desired, then Grade-8 bolt them back to their original holes; when I do this, I will most likely go 6-inches.

If you ever had a stock steering-shaft out of the truck and saw how little was keeping things together even at stock height, then it becomes obvious that an after-market steering-shaft is the way to go.

Having my body/cab/sleeper 2-inches higher is appreciated every time I have to do anything to my truck; everything is just so much easier to access.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd buy the kit, mine came with all the right stuff (I did 2" to try to avoid the firewall interference) including a steering shaft extension. If I was gonna go bigger than 2" I would definitely look at a Borgeson extension.

I wouldn't bother with new body mounts as you will not notice much sag without a bed.