Body mounts

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready to replace the body mounts on my truck. Looking around it looks like the polyurethane ones are all you can get, except for a set from S&B that are silicone, but they are about twice the cost. the energy suspension ones are $239 and the S&B ones are $449. They look really nice and come with shims and stuff, but not sure if they are worth it. Anyone have any experience with either of these good or bad?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no issues with my urethane body bushings. It might be more harsh but I didn't notice a ride quality difference from my old beat rubber mounts.

I have heard good things about the SB Silicone mounts, but I can't afford them. A huge bonus though they come with new metal parts if I remember correctly. I'd like to try them someday.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A huge bonus though they come with new metal parts if I remember correctly. I'd like to try them someday.
If you're hardware is shot, that could be worth the extra cost. I probably have about 20 hrs in building all the hardware to install the new poly mounts on the '84 k10 I have been restoring.

James

chicken bones

Docker
Reaction score
I did the S&B Silcone , very good product, comes complete with all hardware. I had to zip cut some of the old bolts. Expensive but very nice ride, I recommend .

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did the S&B Silcone , very good product, comes complete with all hardware. I had to zip cut some of the old bolts. Expensive but very nice ride, I recommend .

So you are saying they made a noticable improvement in ride? That's good to know.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys. I am already spending a bunch of money so I dont really want to spend another $500, but if they make a difference it might be worth it. I just dont want to buy the polyurethane ones and be bummed with ride. Everyone always says how stiff they are compared to rubber.
It looked to me like the Energy suspension ones come with hardware, but maybe not. I will double check.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 4.4123g polly set from energy, and comes with all the hardware. My truck is not yet assembled, so cant say how they are with ride. Then again I have f-super springs, so have a stiff ride anyways. I chose polly just for ease of install and removal, so am not wasting time now or in the future to service. I also have the polly busings for my front leafs and so far not given issue.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looked to me like the Energy suspension ones come with hardware, but maybe not. I will double check.

Yeah you're right it does look like it comes with the hardware. I used the Prothane mounts and they require reusing the old hardware. I hadn't noticed the difference between manufacturers.

rvitko

Reaction score
I used the s&b silicon mounts. They also include a puller tool. I can’t really compare to anything else, mine were beyond shot before the change, even with the puller I had to burn/sawzall one out in the back. I used poly on a previous project (M-1009 military blazer) and didn’t care for the ride. It does come really complete, really nice shims and hardware. I hemmed and hawed on the cost as well but it’s a big enough PITA I didn’t want to do it twice.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the s&b silicon mounts. They also include a puller tool. I can’t really compare to anything else, mine were beyond shot before the change, even with the puller I had to burn/sawzall one out in the back. I used poly on a previous project (M-1009 military blazer) and didn’t care for the ride. It does come really complete, really nice shims and hardware. I hemmed and hawed on the cost as well but it’s a big enough PITA I didn’t want to do it twice.
I hate doing stuff twice too. Thats why I am going back and forth on it. I dont want to get the poly and then hate it.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did a set of Poly on the '94 cc dually. Poly is cheap enough from rockauto. About $125/130. I got a 3 inch pipe from an exhaust shop with a length of All thread (1/2-13?) for the center. I found a chunk of 3/8 flat steel to drill through and then picked up 3 nuts. two at the bottom and one to run the plate up on to pull out the lower bushing.

I also found it easier to remove the bolts if you take a wheel and cut off the bolt hanging down. Easier than trying to remove rust to get the bolt out. Energy kit has new hardware.

This has yet to get on the road and with the front reverse shackle kit ride quality is destined to change anyway.

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
S&b hands down
Lifetime warranty, they have flex/give for when the frames articulate (buddy popped his windshield from the cab flexing the truck hard with poly mounts)
And the biggest thing for me, they come with the puller tools to remove the old bushings

Slicknik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the energy suspension kit 2 years ago works fine , made a puller setup and it took half a day

Removes the body roll and raised the body almost 1/4 of an inch

Make sure you apply that silicone grease otherwise in 3 months you’ll be squeaking louder than the hotel bed on a Friday night

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online