Blown Head Gasket?

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could this be anything else? It's on the passenger side only...

You must be registered for see images attach

Is this bolt or stud missing a nut? Would it make a difference in the leak if it was on there?

Sorry for the in your face pics... I was holding my phone camera down there cause it's the only way I could get a half decent look at it.

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks more like bad valve cover gaskets , my head gaskets are bad on both sides , but the valve covers are dry. Everything from the head/block seam down is soaked

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, copy. Shows what I know. Okay, I'll look into that. Thanks. What I don't get is: EVERYTHING is coated in oil.... Except that stud. WTH?

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, copy. Shows what I know. Okay, I'll look into that. Thanks. What I don't get is: EVERYTHING is coated in oil.... Except that stud. WTH?

Sounds like the lucky stud ;Sweet Thats too high up to be head gaskets, valve cover gaskets arent too terrible to change

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great, gasket prices don't seem too bad either... I'm seeing that rubber seems to be the best choice? I see prices from $10 to $60 at NAPA...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats supposed to have a nut on that stud to hold down the valve cover. See the triangle piece under the stud. That spreads out the nut clamping force so the valve cover wont dent and ruin the gasket. My recommendations are to use Felpro gaskets or Victor Reinz gaskets. Rubber is not the best gasket here. Also coat both sides of the gasket with permatex ultra coppe RTV. You will never have another leak then but.. Cleaning off the oily mess is really important. Use brakclean and it will work very well. Any oil on the surfaces will cause another leak. Care needs to be done when tightening the valve covers too. You don't want to crush the gaskets because that will break them and again.. Instant leaks.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats supposed to have a nut on that stud to hold down the valve cover. See the triangle piece under the stud. That spreads out the nut clamping force so the valve cover wont dent and ruin the gasket. My recommendations are to use Felpro gaskets or Victor Reinz gaskets. Rubber is not the best gasket here. Also coat both sides of the gasket with permatex ultra coppe RTV. You will never have another leak then but.. Cleaning off the oily mess is really important. Use brakclean and it will work very well. Any oil on the surfaces will cause another leak. Care needs to be done when tightening the valve covers too. You don't want to crush the gaskets because that will break them and again.. Instant leaks.

Okay, thanks. I am reading 6lbs torque, but I guess I need to clean it up and get a nut on that bolt and see if that fixes it for me. The Fel Pro at my local NAPA is rubber.

It's encouraging... When I bought this truck the entire engine compartment was covered in oil from a disconnected CDR and other issues. As I put new parts on, clean and/or replace hoses the engine looks cleaner and cleaner...... AND it's easy to see the remaining leaks.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may get lucky and fix it with just a nut. Prolly not but it could happen

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That stud is a 5/16x18 thead. Any lowes or home depot will have that nut. So will any parts house. Once a leak like that starts its never going to stop because the oil has made a path and will wick out from under the gasket but tightening it will show it down too.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As mentioned thats a Valve Cover issue there.

When you remove the valve cover, both gasket surfaces must be cleaner than surgically clean! So clean the head, then do it again and again each time with fresh clean rag not dipping it in oil etc. Get the heads gasket surface cleaner than clean, and do the same for the tin valve cover too.

If there is any residual oil, and I mean any, then oil will eventually wick out there.

I'm not a fan of RTV however it can work, I'm a fan of the Elephant Snot as I call it, Permatex Aviation Form a Gasket is the real name, apply thin coat to head and to valve cover install the gasket the valve cover tighten carefully to torque and be done.

IIRC bout 72 INCH LBS torque, hope this helps.

Al

Defrocked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations to pressure wash engine bay before or after valve cover gaskets?
What is the proper way anyways,cover the IP and intake manifold really good and have at it??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance