Block heaters..?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Kats makes good heaters that will last a long time I've used plenty of them with no failures. I'd be hesitant to use a napa store brand these days. Anyones guess where they come from.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks, I'll get a kat then and if it goes in a year it'll be warrantied anyway. I'm using one of their radiator hose heaters without problem so heres hoping!

---
ordered it and saved 50$ over napa.... thanks again

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Check ebay. I found the ford block heaters really cheap around $40.00 with the cord. Others were $64.00 and $94.00..... They were listed under 6.9 diesel parts...;Sweet

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a block heater leak as well. When I took it out, the butterfly nut (or whatever you call it) that holds the heater to the block had cracked in half.:backoff The new Ford heater had a different anchoring system. I'm not sure if they updated the design or what, but the new heater is leak free.

Be sure to drain the block 1st, otherwise you'll be tasting coolant for a week:puke::D

Heath

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coolant does make for a good conditioner for your hair.............especially when mixed with oil.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Made that mistake last week when i did my friends' :rotflmao

What's the easiest way to drain the block itself? I knOw some will come out when I loosen the anchor

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's NPT plugs on either side of the block down low just a few inches above the oil pan; one is behind your starter, and the driver side is a little more out in the open. I was able to loosen and remove mine with a 9/16" box end wrench...............but that was a very rare occurrence. Most people have one hell of a time trying to get them out.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are plugs in the block just for draining the coolant. The one on the passenger's side is just in front of the block heater. 9/16 head if I remember correctly. What I'd recommend is replacing the plug with a drain **** (don't laugh). It really is easier to use than pulling the plug the next time you need to drain the block.

Photo below of driver's side:
You must be registered for see images

Heath

trapper

Boom Boom
Reaction score
not tryin to hijack but on my old parts truck there is a silver box that is bolted to the grill insert that has a flap in the front for a 2 prong plug i think and it has 2 thick wires hooked to it with eye hole fittings on the ends is this a heater?

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not tryin to hijack but on my old parts truck there is a silver box that is bolted to the grill insert that has a flap in the front for a 2 prong plug i think and it has 2 thick wires hooked to it with eye hole fittings on the ends is this a heater?

Could be, follow the cable. It could also be one of those battery topper-offers/parasitic draw combat'ers..

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are plugs in the block just for draining the coolant. The one on the passenger's side is just in front of the block heater. 9/16 head if I remember correctly. What I'd recommend is replacing the plug with a drain **** (don't laugh). It really is easier to use than pulling the plug the next time you need to drain the block.

Photo below of driver's side:
You must be registered for see images

Heath
I've heard of people doing the swap to a drain ****, but didn't know the locations. Thanks!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The picture above clearly shows the location of the coolant block drain on the drivers side of the engine. Also notice the small plug in the rear most flange... Thats the main oil galley plug usually used for the Bamks turbo oil supply. These engines have two more oil galley plugs behind the oil cooler bundle. They are nearly impossible to get at too. The design is for the oil supply to an air compressor on the big dump trucks...;Sweet