Which clutch for ZF5 DMF???

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here some choices. Please note, I am using the DMF that came out of a 88' and I need a new clutch. I am gonna go with LUK and These are three choices that popped up. All of them say I have to convert to a SMF. So can I use a clutch designed for a SMF on a DMF? Also, should I go for 11 inch or 12 inch? Any link to better clutches or better prices would be great!

Amazon.com: Luk 07-131 New Clutch Set: Automotive

Amazon.com: Luk 07-076 New Clutch Set: Automotive

Amazon.com: Luk 07-100 New Clutch Set: Automotive

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a kevlar clutch I got from Ft Wayne Clutch via Ebay. I got a super deal on a SMF, so I only had to buy the clutch kit, but I want to say it was very inexpensive (like around $150 shipped). I also opted for the $40 input bushing as it seemed like good insurance versus the roller bearings that I hear some bad stuff about.

I love my kevlar clutch: really good holding force, no chatter, and the pedal pressure made me wish I'd have done it a lot sooner.

Good luck whatever way you proceed.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you think you are going to re-use the original DMF with a new clutch attached to it, you are fooling yourself. The DMF is a wear item, and wears with the clutch. If you need a new clutch, you need a new DMF to go with it. That's why so many SMF clutch kits with flywheels are sold. It's not so much that everyone wants to change to a SMF, it's almost 100% of the time when they pull the DMF out, it's shot.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Just ditch the DMF now while you have the mess apart, you won't be sorry that you did. It may have been holding up fine against an old worn out clutch, but strap a nice stout fresh clutch up against it and that old DMF won't be long for this world and you will be doing the job again in the not so distant future.

Go with a 12 or 12 1/4" sertup, so you get the same amount of dampening springs in the hub of the clutch as you would have had in the DMF so you won't have any rollover noise.
Another vote for Ft Wayne Clutch Call and get one of their rebuilt Kevlar clutch kits and a kevlar pilot bushing They set those things up where they have so much friction in the disc that they don't need a heavy spring in the pressure plate, in fact, the total opposite, they use a fairly light spring in the pressure plate .THey grab like crazy , no slip, and I tow heavy regularly. I pulled my first one of their clutches after 50k miles and it measured out within new specs, but I had made the mistake of keeping my DMF and the DMF folded so the clutch lives on in another member's truck and I got a solid flywheel and another one of their clutches, and went with a 12 1/4" setup this time. With my arthritis, I would have had to drop a slushbox in if it weren't for these clutches. THey drive as easy as a european luxury car clutch yet won't slip with insane loads ;Sweet

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, which Kevlar kit should I get? (part #?) How much do they normally run?

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas, I'm not really dying to spend over 500 on this. I'm thinking I will use this clutch kit, and then use this flywheel.

I know LUK isn't a kevlar but I think I can live with it. Any thoughts?

Whats with some of the kits saying I need to upgrade slave, master, etc.?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score

Just call Ft wayne Clutch. I'm not sure the part number. Last time I got a clutch kit, the rebuilt kevlar clutch kit was around $325 shipped, they call it their Hustler clutch. A flywheel would be separate .That one on ebay doesn't look like kevlar, the kevlar lining is yellow, but it is a good price for a standard clutch setup.
The Kevlar is worth getting, it will outlast a stock type lining and it doesn't wear on the flywheel surface. I regularly gross 18k and 22-24k ( heck my truck weighs 8500 empty , just scaled it yesterday at the quarry with my bed tank empty) My old stock clutch used to wear my knee out and glazed the old flywheel surface.
Now between the kevlar clutch and the hydroboost , this thing is like driving a friggen luxury car :rotflmao

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
What about these I posted???

That middle kit on ebay that ft wayne clutch has would be a good quality kit and you won't get much if any rollover noise with all those springs. Just as with any kit, spend the extra 25-30 bucks and get a kevlar pilot bushing and ditch the roller pilot bearing so you don't have to worry about the rollers going dry or worse, knocking some out while installing the trans and then having it screw up on you in a short time and having to take it back out again to fix it. It's darn near impossible to screw up the bushing so long as you seat it all the way.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, but that clutch kit was rated for 360 ft/lbs of torque/180 hp(I read this after I posted it) and my engine puts out much more than that. I would be going for all the nice stuff but I'm trying to keep costs down, I've heard good stuff about LUK clutches, what would be the reason not to get one? It has a 12 inch clutch disc too. Could I get the kevlar pilot bushing separate?

I don't think that middle one was a kevlar after reading about it. The last link I posted was a kevlar but it is to much $$$$.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me put it this way concerning LUK clutches. There is one behind the 429 in my bronco and it puts out almost 600 HP without the nitrous adding. The 11 inch LUK in it has never let me down yet.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cheapest way to go is get a DMF clutch kit from Autozone(make sure the disc has the springs in it, the last time I looked it does) and then do the Lucky Mod and take the guts out of the DMF and bolt it together solid. I have had this in my truck for about 3 years now with no problems, but you do get some noise from the tranny, depending on how rough your engine idles.

If you want a nice clutch set, you are going to have to pay for it.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks franklin, but I dont exactly want to go that cheap. I need this to be reliable for towing.

I will call ft. wayne again and see what they want. Nobody answered today.