Getting trailer brakes to work?

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay guys, I have a 1994 factory turbo truck. I have the factory plug to plug in a brake controller under my dash. When I bought my car trailer a few weeks ago the guy gave me this Brake Force brake controller http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-47225-Brake-Force-Brake-Control/dp/B000BQWJFW So I installed this along with this Hopkins patch harness to plug in between the brake controller and the truck's plug http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-47715..._1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1334755310&sr=1-1 I also varified that I have the fuse installed in slot 21 in the power distribution block under the hood. Is there anything else I am missing? When I push the brakes a yellow light comes on on the brake controller but it does not seem to be engaging the trailer brakes, I do not hear any sort of clicking at the front axle (where the brakes are). Any advice on this? I am new to trailer brakes and I know a bunch of you guys haul stuff regularly. I would appreciate some help, because I towed a ford expedition home last week and it was not fun to do with out any extra braking help. Thanks.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you also install the relay in the power box?

I did not know to look for one. I did not install the fuse in the fuse box but it was already there and in good shape. Should a relay come installed from the factory? Is the relay in the same power distribution box as the fuse?

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not know to look for one. I did not install the fuse in the fuse box but it was already there and in good shape. Should a relay come installed from the factory? Is the relay in the same power distribution box as the fuse?

bump for this question

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
It would be in the box under the hood.

If the brake contol has power. Check the wire harness from the controller to the rear of the vehicle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online