Blew up my truck.... Time for a Cummins I think

dukedrummer89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pretty much

the guy i talked to at ford-cummins said i will not be dissappointed with the mounts... time will tell

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll like the cummins and even at stock 160HP fueling you'll be happy you scrapped the IDI.

Ford-cummins stuff is crap IMO, but that's not saying it doesn't work. When it takes just a few hours to get the angle of the dangle right, mock, burn, mill and TIG custom mounts that fit perfectly and look factory the destroked stuff rough sawn from tube and migged by a small child isn't appealing to me. Scott at destroked makes some different tooth count reluctor wheels to bolt to the front pulley and make your IDI tach work.

I have about $700 into the parts and install of a 350HP intercooled P7100 12 valve and 1997 front clip in my EX-7.3 89 F350 cab chassis dually. If I hadn't bought the nice 97 front clip and switched the 91 dodge 5.9 over to a P7100 I'd have made a few hundred with the swap. If I hadn't done hydroboost and installed the F800 bendix air brake compressor and ZF power steering pump I'd have saved another hundred bucks or so in parts.

I can't believe you're getting this much flack from these members for pulling a problematic 6.9 out for a mechanical 5.9 cummins. I have removed and seen removed many good running IDI's and PSD's in favor of a 12 valve. Hell, you get a whole lot more money reselling a good running binder diesel than you do when it's just a core.

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW, you could have reused your IDI 12" LUK clutch disc and pressure plate on the dodge flywheel behind the cummins.

The ford and cummins 5 speed 12" pressure plates are the same. The regular dodge clutch disc is the same disc as a ford SMF disc. The ford DMF disc does not have damper springs in it, but still works fine on the dodge flywheel.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't believe you're getting this much flack from these members for pulling a problematic 6.9 out for a mechanical 5.9 cummins. I have removed and seen removed many good running IDI's and PSD's in favor of a 12 valve. Hell, you get a whole lot more money reselling a good running binder diesel than you do when it's just a core.
how so?
there's a subforum here just for the conversion junkies. there's the dyed-in-the-wool IH types, but remember this thread was started in the 6.9/7.3idi section where the hardcore IH ones hang out. that's why we have our own subforum here so we don't get that kind of static;Sweet
everybody's got to be passionate about something, we're just a little different from the rest:D

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
You'll like the cummins and even at stock 160HP fueling you'll be happy you scrapped the IDI.

Ford-cummins stuff is crap IMO, but that's not saying it doesn't work. When it takes just a few hours to get the angle of the dangle right, mock, burn, mill and TIG custom mounts that fit perfectly and look factory the destroked stuff rough sawn from tube and migged by a small child isn't appealing to me. Scott at destroked makes some different tooth count reluctor wheels to bolt to the front pulley and make your IDI tach work.

I have about $700 into the parts and install of a 350HP intercooled P7100 12 valve and 1997 front clip in my EX-7.3 89 F350 cab chassis dually. If I hadn't bought the nice 97 front clip and switched the 91 dodge 5.9 over to a P7100 I'd have made a few hundred with the swap. If I hadn't done hydroboost and installed the F800 bendix air brake compressor and ZF power steering pump I'd have saved another hundred bucks or so in parts.

Yeah bro, I just love diesels period, and engines are engines at the end of the day for me. There all not good, all not bad, just have to be understood, just like women ( or men, for our lady posters ).

I am working ******* the 6.9/7.3 just because it's a true challenge. Once I get the code cracked on this thing, I'll move on to something else.

I got past brand a long time ago.

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
I am curious on how the fordcummins parts work out. I have a friend who was in on some of the first Cummins repowers almost two decades ago and he claims the fordcummins guy has been taking pictures of other peoples work and advertising it as his.

I also like the red on the Cummins, if anyone else asks you the color is called Signature RED. That is the color they painted the big engines at one time, I am sure you have heard of a "red top" Cummins.

I am in the process of swapping a 6.5L GM to a 6.2LGM, I was asked about why the 6BTA that is on a shipping stand didnt go in its place, my response was "Its a Chevy. its isn't worth THAT Cummins!" I agree whole heartedly with using an I-6 in place of a V-8 diesel ANY day of the week. Of course that the difference between working on the big diesels vs. the little ones. Good Luck and keep the pics coming!

dukedrummer89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW, you could have reused your IDI 12" LUK clutch disc and pressure plate on the dodge flywheel behind the cummins.

The ford and cummins 5 speed 12" pressure plates are the same. The regular dodge clutch disc is the same disc as a ford SMF disc. The ford DMF disc does not have damper springs in it, but still works fine on the dodge flywheel.

I ended up going with a 13in 5speed southbend dodge flywheel that has the 7.3 pilot bushing in it. Also a Ford 375 horse southbend clutch setup

The ford-cummins.com mounts are beefy btw... like i said i heard bad things about them, but im impressed with their engine mounts

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker