Blew up my truck.... Time for a Cummins I think

dukedrummer89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just as the title says, im pretty sure the head gaskets are toast in my truck. It all stated last night when I was heading to dinner. I got off the interstate, the truck was running a little weird. Next thing I know the radiator hose blows. So i Drive a couple blocks to get out of traffic. I have my buddy bring me a new upper rad hose and 2 gals of coolant. Turns out 2 gals didnt fill it up. So I drove about 2 miles to an autozone to get some more. When I shut the truck off its smoking bad, oil is pouring out from somewhere in the block. So I fill the fluids and it seems fine :cookoo So i drive it home, its prefectly fine. Start it up this morning, fine again. Started it up after work, again it was just fine. Once I got home it was pourin out oil again. It was down at least a gallon, the underside of the truck is completely covered. So I filled it up, drove it out to the shop, and pulled the ole 6.9 outa it. I would like to fix it, but I know the local machine shop is backed up so i wouldnt get the heads back for @ least a month... I pretty much decided tonite that it is time for a cummins :dunno

Sad, sad, sad day
You must be registered for see images attach

Seems like I just had this truck apart less than 4k miles ago :tooth At least the bolts come out super easy

Guess this means I will have a parts 6.9 up for sale... with a 093 ATS on it, a SMF and 12in clutch, new injection pump and G-code injectors w 5k on them... If anyone is interested:D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty quick, rash and unscientific process your working by there I'd say. Sounds like you don't know what's wrong with it, maybe pulled the motor needlessly, and.... do you actually HAVE a 6BT, and all the fittings to make a conversion smoother, cheap and less troublesome than just fixing your IDI? :dunno

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You probably have the turbo drain back line leaking causing the oil loss. The coolant loss sounds more like anything but head gaskets. But you seem to be on your way to something better. Also it looks like you really work faspulling things apart and have a garage yo work in... Good luck on which ever way you decide to go. I personally would find out whats going on with the 6.9 before I condemed it. It bolts in so easy and comes out so easy.

dukedrummer89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty quick, rash and unscientific process your working by there I'd say. Sounds like you don't know what's wrong with it, maybe pulled the motor needlessly, and.... do you actually HAVE a 6BT, and all the fittings to make a conversion smoother, cheap and less troublesome than just fixing your IDI? :dunno

True, i have absolutly no Idea what is wrong with it, it still ran perfect, but leaked so much oil... Pullin a long grade it started to smoke white, then was dumping out pure white smoke...it like to tear it town, send the heads/block to a machine shop, and get it all rebuilt, but that would cost, and it would be down for months....

Ive got a line on a 6bt...91 with 80k on it and all the acc's and starter/flywheel/clutch.... Plus a guy I know has a 97 w a 6bt, and he said he'd help with the wiring

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The wiring is the smallest/easiest part of the swap.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
in a cummins swap everything is going to be custom from motor mounts to trans mounts to drive shafts, but from looking at your truck i gues its mostly custom anyway so i guess it wont be a problem for you, altho i would never do a cummings swap i just love the old i-h idi's way to much

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
PM me how much your looking for flywheel and clutch kit and how many miles on it, also how much for the turbo kit?

dukedrummer89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lil update, yes im junking the idi in favor of a cummins...............

I got a deal on a 95 12 valve, got a destroke adapter and some southbend parts on the way... here is what she looks like

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online