Blew up my truck.... Time for a Cummins I think

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad the mounts worked out for you.

The pilot bushing is not an ideal setup though. The adapters Cummins makes to mate the B series engines to ford transmissions (yes, Cummins made and makes adapters to bolt to ford diesel pattern) use a 6203 sealed ball bearing pressed in the flywheel. If you have access to a large swing engine lathe fitting the dodge flywheel with a bearing is an easy job.

Dodge's poor pilot bearing is the largest cause of (non-NV4500 5th gear)catastrophic transmission failure behind the cummins.

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Polish a ****

There's an old saying that goes "You can polish a ****, but it's still a ****" You can paint that Cummins any color you want, but it's still a Cummins. To me it's the ultimate sin to swap one into a Ford or Chevy. I have nothing against the Cummins 5.9, Detroit 6.2/6.5, GM-Isuzu Duramax, or the International 6.9/ 7.3 IDI, 7.3/6.0/6.4 Powerstroke. However I do have an issue with not "keeping it in the Family"

If you ask me, anyone who swaps a cummins into a Chevy or Ford, is by no means a "Die Hard" Ford/Chevy guy. I apologize for my Humble, but Accurate Opinion.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
There's an old saying that goes "You can polish a ****, but it's still a ****" You can paint that Cummins any color you want, but it's still a Cummins. To me it's the ultimate sin to swap one into a Ford or Chevy. I have nothing against the Cummins 5.9, Detroit 6.2/6.5, GM-Isuzu Duramax, or the International 6.9/ 7.3 IDI, 7.3/6.0/6.4 Powerstroke. However I do have an issue with not "keeping it in the Family"

If you ask me, anyone who swaps a cummins into a Chevy or Ford, is by no means a "Die Hard" Ford/Chevy guy. I apologize for my Humble, but Accurate Opinion.

Wow, coming in swinging. Welcome aboard! I hear your passion, but, doing a Ford/Cummins is keeping it in the family. Ford puts Cummins B series in their MDs all the time, and sometimes they get Allison transmissions, which originally were GM owned at one time. Then there's that Detroit Diesel Series 40 which is actually a Navistar DT series engine. I could go on and on, but won't.

You really are going to have a problem with GenLightning then; he put an IH 7.3 IDI into a Chevy. Nice swap, too.

Then there's that one guy in New Zealand who has a 6.5 GM in an F250 ambulance...........

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont think any brand matters, as long as you get from point a to b, and gets the job done. But some people do have favorites.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Hey guys ease up a little.:backoff:D It's still a diesel! I like the IDI too and am driving one again, finally!
They all have their good and bad points too.
We all need to stick together regardless of brand or someday they may regulate these older trucks off the road.

Hey drummer, I'm glad it's working out for you. Need more pics when you get it back together!

dukedrummer89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad the mounts worked out for you.

The pilot bushing is not an ideal setup though. The adapters Cummins makes to mate the B series engines to ford transmissions (yes, Cummins made and makes adapters to bolt to ford diesel pattern) use a 6203 sealed ball bearing pressed in the flywheel. If you have access to a large swing engine lathe fitting the dodge flywheel with a bearing is an easy job.

Dodge's poor pilot bearing is the largest cause of (non-NV4500 5th gear)catastrophic transmission failure behind the cummins.

i worded that wrong... it is a bearing... the ford cummins adapter plate came with a bushing but i didnt use it becouse the southbend flywheel has a bearing

If you ask me, anyone who swaps a cummins into a Chevy or Ford, is by no means a "Die Hard" Ford/Chevy guy. I apologize for my Humble, but Accurate Opinion. .

Well im diehard ford, im 20 and I have owned at least 20 vehicles, 15 of which were obs ford... f150-f250s and broncos ect, 2 mustangs, a taurus, and a k2500 6.2 diesel that i fix and resold....

When I make/modify a vehicle, I could care less what the parts came out of. I just want something that somebody else will never have. You can bet that you will never ever see a lifted crew cab super-short bed obs ford with superduty axles and a p-pumped cummins

Glad that worked out! Then now I take it you are getting close to putting the frontend back on it? .

Its back on now... I will have some pictures to come.... Ive got lots of radiator and intercooler pluming to do

I also got a 6.0 intercooler

For an air intake I got a afe filter and plastic adapter that was in a incomplete 6.4 kit, and a 6.0 flexy rubber adapter. I actually fits together quite nicely, and it was free:D

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If you ever come down off your genius cloud come on by my shop and take a peak at the half dozen or so Cummins engines that have FORD and CASE on the CPL tag right next to the Cummins name. Show me an IDI or PSD with "power by Ford valve covers".

It's the pure ignorance like you've brought to this thread that makes the internet a useless place for the exchange of useful information.

It'd really boil your ass if you knew the 16V 4.5L 4 banger Cummins in my '70 F250 came from a Clark forklift or how the 3.9 4BT going in my expedition was out of a Case skidsteer wouldn't it?

I have no brand loyalty, I simply have opinions I've formed from my own personal experiences. I feel Ford's made a lot of bad vehicles and poor choices, but their trucks have more than held thier own against the competition over the years in toughness and looks.

I base my opinions about the trucks I choose to put effort into rehabilitating on facts like the last American automobile to be made with American made steel was made before the year 1970 (My '70 was built June 1969). Ford makes great truck engines with the exception of the poor choice of putting a 302 in a pickup. They are purpose built for trucks. The FE, FT and 300 six engines are great examples of engines purpose built for truck use. Ford has never put a diesel they built (Ford has built some pretty nice medium duty and AG diesels) into a pickup in America, to me this is sad and the choice to use the V8 IDI in thier pickup lineup goes against what I believe to be the common-sense built-tough backbone of Ford trucks. The reputation and actuality of the toughness of the B series Cummins motors is a well matched pair with the chassis and body of a Ford pickup to me.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
RustyBolts, so you understand, we all have got our favorites, BUT we don't want the conversation to drop to the level of what qualifies as a diehard whatever. We are a DIEHARD DIESEL group, regardless of what's on the valvecovers. You can learn a lot here, and the whole point is expanding the possibilities of all things diesel.

I am looking forward to dukedrummer's truck being done, it'll help the next person who wants to do the swap to their truck.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Wow...more comments on the guy who is bashing than the actual guy doing the swap. Average F-250, you got a link to those swaps of which you speak? I would LOVE to see some of them.

SWS

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Wow...more comments on the guy who is bashing than the actual guy doing the swap. Average F-250, you got a link to those swaps of which you speak? I would LOVE to see some of them.

SWS

Naw, just had to do the PSA for those that want to gin up trouble; now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Yeah AverageF250, you need to post some pics on those CTD swaps you've done.;Sweet

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score

Hey Dude,...Deal with it,... welcome to the site.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online

Members online