Blew something in engine? HG or not sure

gandalf

Reaction score
Wow!! That looks terrible, Al. I can see where that engine might have been chuffing a bit. And that piston looks like you went at it with a hammer.:backoff The cracks? What can we say?

Tell us again where you got that engine. Maybe they have another one for you.

Guess you'll be going on your call-outs in a car for a while, or maybe a 6 wheeler.

Can't hardly wait for tomorrow's news. Start taking pictures for us.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a bummer. I think I'm going to have to look into my intake chuffing noise while my compression is still good.

You should put that piston on the front porch for halloween to scare any kids that come by.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
That looks done for sure... :eek:

Sorry to hear it. When my 7.3 got a bad case of the bottom end knocks, I tracked down a good running 6.9 truck, dropped $1k on it, pulled what I wanted and sold the carcass for $500. I'm happy as a clam to have a 6.9 engine now.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well that sure sucks and blows bad news Al... In the back of my mind I was thinking a dropped valve but didn't want to post that obvious bad carma your way. I'm just wondering if the wall cracked first and the coolant caused the valve to shatter like that. Good thing you were not running a turbo cause if you were that would be ruined too. Any metal hitting the spinning hot wheel will sure cause major damage. Then you need a wheel and shaft cause they are made as one piece. They be expensive too cause of the high temp steel material of the hot wheel. I understand they are inconel material. Waiting on the updates about the why this happened. That cylinder "could" be sleeved but it would not be a trust worthy adventure ...

rlb245

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That cylinder "could" be sleeved but it would not be a trust worthy adventure ...
icanfixall! could you inlighten me on the draw back of a re-sleeved cylinder. I didn't no it was risky

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The risk I'm refering to is on this cracked cylinder. Once the cylinder is cracked its very tuff to stop the crack from growing more. Drill stop is whats been used for years but you have to know where the end of the crack is. Finding the end can be tuff. Mag particle is one way. Diecheck penatrant is another. Flourenent and black lite is another way. sonic testing is still another way.

rlb245

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that response. So the crack may extend in to the block! Is that what your saying?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
POST MORTEM video posted in NEW thread...specific to the issue!

Nope no can sleeve that block not worth it.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update, and MORE TO COME too!

Just wanted to show that crack...wow
You must be registered for see images attach

Yuppers she's a doozy..

Piston is getting a tad rusty now LOL
You must be registered for see images attach

Oh and after I pulled engine, I then dropped out oil and wow...first nice green coolant then it turned into this thick black ooze....must be the mega SOOT being shot into the oil from that one valve with bad guide?

http://youtu.be/bPoelO8E89Q

Ya that's nasty nasty goo I tell ya.

I'll post more once I get the pan off but won't be for a bit cause I want this swap done and truck running again. UGH!

Al

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Al, I have an 86 6.9 block (No pump, lift pump, lines, belt driven accsessories or starter) pretty much bare. It has heads, manifold and so forth. Never seen it run. Maybe worth a rebuild????? Only issue is, I can't get to it for a while, like mid november kinda thing.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
That's a shame to see, Al. I had just the same outcome when I dug into the engine that came with my truck. Looking back, I probably would have saved time, money and heartache if I just fixed that engine. Good luck bro.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Al, I have an 86 6.9 block (No pump, lift pump, lines, belt driven accsessories or starter) pretty much bare. It has heads, manifold and so forth. Never seen it run. Maybe worth a rebuild????? Only issue is, I can't get to it for a while, like mid november kinda thing.
Kevin, thanks for that offer, however I've got a line on what appears to be a true legend, not a fictitious one.

The 94 crippled hippo we just got with dead E40D has a story of a remanned 7.3 5000K ago....now not sure if that's true but based on evidence I've seen like super clean bolts for trans/engine combo and some other small details, I'm really thinking that the truck may indeed have a remanned engine as the legend has been told. LOL

That's a shame to see, Al. I had just the same outcome when I dug into the engine that came with my truck. Looking back, I probably would have saved time, money and heartache if I just fixed that engine. Good luck bro.

Well it is a shame and had I spent $$$ to do a set of heads quickly enough I may have had a good runner based on the compression figures that engine was providing!

Such is not the way it went and ya now I'm out all the time/effort for the previous work, water pump and other such stuff.

Bottom line I'll be banging that block down to some bare parts, and storing some and saving that piston for a paper weight along with my valve! LOL