Big Ugly goes to rehab

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes indeed. And while talking to the girlfriend last night I mentioned I'd be renting a camper for next year and she said "why? We should have one by then" so I guess I got the go ahead on that too.

More good times coming...
I remember back in 2012 rolling in to the MI rally. it was around 330am and there was three or four guys who insisted on staying up until I got there to welcome me and have a beer with me. you'll never find a group as welcoming and genuinely concerned for each other than this group. Even though members get active for a while and fall back a bit, the earnestness never goes away and carries on to the newer attendees. Doesn't matter if you a currently own a IDI or have moved on, the person is still the same. That's what makes this group so awesome. :D

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I had an issue with my rear brakes. The left rear started sticking after hard braking and coming to a stop at say a stoplight. Sometimes the Brake and ABS lights would turn on when it happened. I did a cursory (visual) inspection and noticed the small spring that keeps the brake shoe from flexing out was in the bottom of the drum. I was just in there about 5 months ago and at the time it seemed everything went together maybe a little too easily. Specifically those springs. I ordered a spring kit a couple months ago and was waiting for an opportunity to go back in and change them but apparently I was too late.

As I removed the drum a flat plate of metal fell out. What? Where did this come from? Turns out it was the support tab that the shoes have spot welded to them where they rest against the top pin. It fell off the rear shoe apparently. It must have taken out the spring on it's way through at some point. It had wear marks on it so must have fallen off a while ago. I'd have to believe it was the reason the brake would hang up periodically. At some point after the spring fell off the shoe the little arm that engages the spring exited the backing plate.

I consider myself lucky the plate that fell off the shoe didn't get wedged and lock up the rear wheel.

While under there I also noticed my rear U-joint is shot. Not real bad but definitely on it's way out. Would explain the minor vibrations going down the road.

So as luck would have it the spring kit I ordered had all the pieces I was missing. I was able to get some new shoes at the local Advance.

Short segue here. Since my truck was blocking my car in the garage I hopped on the motorcycle and went and picked up the brake pads on the bike. I've picked up bike stuff in the truck but never truck stuff on the bike before.

Back on topic. So pressed for time, running out of daylight, I'm on my way back home with the new shoes. Wouldn't you know it the train tracks near my house have a train stopped blocking my way back. First time in the 3 years I've been around here I've seen a train on those tracks. Go figure.

Now the reason I had to get this done tonight is that the only flat surface on my driveway is right in front of the garage. As mentioned earlier the car was in there. Well at 6 am I have to drive my son to the airport so he can go visit my dad next week in Florida.

Get home, throw the new shoes and springs in and miraculously nothing else is damaged in there and I barely get the tire back on before it's pitch black.

Then I had to test out my new code reader. I'm just going to say I paid I think $42 for the reader and extension cable. Back in 1989 when I had a 87" Thunderbird Turbo I had a TPS go bad. The dealer charge me $65 to read it. ******** and also we gotz it guud dez daze.

So much for ignorance is bliss. Got 3 codes.
Code 14. Tach sensor failure. There have been a couple instances where the tach didn't work for a moment. So that makes sense.
Code 23 TPS out of range. This may be an old code. I adjusted the FIPL about a month ago and it should be okay now. But I'll check again anyway.
Code 62. Apparently my torque converter clutch is slipping too much. Now that's not a total surprise as it is noticeable somewhat when driving. It just reinforces my recent decision to go through the E4OD within the next year since I want to start pulling a 5th before the rally next year.

Good day for the truck overall. Looks like I'll be back under there tomorrow again replacing the U-joint.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All that and no pics?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
As requested some pics.
So here is a picture of the brake shoe and the plate that fell off.
You must be registered for see images attach

For reference here's where it's supposed to be.

Okay so on to today. I went and picked up a rear u-joint for the driveshaft this morning. Apparently it has been bad longer than I thought.

Yeah that's a little worn. Surprisingly the truck drove very well for the most part. In the past a bad u-joint has always made itself more obvious when it fails. This one not so much.

All put back together and ready for a test drive.

Drives good. Not getting the brake and ABS lights at all anymore but while doing a brake test (simulated panic stop) the rear locked up so the ABS is obviously not working.

Anyone have a link to the proper troubleshooting/repair/replacement for the rear ABS system?

And please don't tell me to delete it. Not how I want to fix it.

@79jasper are you satisfied now?:cheers:

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve got some rabs valves laying around if you want some more parts from meLOL

Getting these rabs systems to actually work properly is pretty tough, I had mine working for about a year on my 93 but alas no more, still stops great without it. I guess I’m used to old vehicles with no abs

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great meeting you and Big Ugly at the rally! Hope to see it next year.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Really enjoyed meeting you guys as well.

I'm already planning on next year. Wherever it may be.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Nice work, just got done reading through this thread. I didn't realize it was such a journey.

Was great to meet another "crazy internet friend" in real life. Make sure you get everything in shape so you can make next years rally!

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should also build a bumper like that one on that dead **** truck behind you! You know, to match the nice rear bumper on your truck.

That bumper is ****. Dead ****.

In the planning stages. Goal is to design it properly, have it cut on the laser at work, bends all broke on a 100 ton press brake at work, then weld it up and powdercoat it.

But alas I took on a project in my free time designing and building a control panel and doing a plant layout for tanks and piping. So it'll be a minute before I can focus on that. Seems like a good winter project.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That bumper is ****. Dead ****.

In the planning stages. Goal is to design it properly, have it cut on the laser at work, bends all broke on a 100 ton press brake at work, then weld it up and powdercoat it.

But alas I took on a project in my free time designing and building a control panel and doing a plant layout for tanks and piping. So it'll be a minute before I can focus on that. Seems like a good winter project.
The problem with winter projects is that winter seems to get shorter and shorter for me and my slow paced winter projects turn into holy crap I’m leaving in a week projects. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online

No members online now.