Big Ugly goes to rehab

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did u do alinement on your rig after you replaced your tie rod ends

From above.
I very accurately measured the center balljoint to center balljoint distance and reassembled the new tie rods to exactly the same dimensions within natural human error.

And with that said I'm dropping it off this morning for an actual on machine alignment. No worse than it was before but I don't know exactly where that was to begin with.

Changing the tie rods got rid of most of the play but while I was doing that I noticed play in the steering box at the pitman arm. I'll try to adjust it out a little but believe the writing is on the wall in that regard.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So Saturday I decided to install my new brake hoses. Yeah it's always the "easy" jobs that aren't easy.

First issue. Breaking the lines loose. Now my Kroil is in my shop which for the time being is 62 miles from home. I just moved and that will change but for now it just is. So I picked up some liquid wrench (can't get kroil locally) and doused everything good with it.

The lines on the front drivers side came off after a little elbow grease. The attachment point behind the bracket is a pain but eventually it gave in. On to the passenger side.

Yeah this one was not going to cooperate. When it felt as if the flare nut wrench was going to strip the hard line I stopped. Guess I'll have to revisit this one when the kroil is handy.

Moving on to the rear. I'm really not good with spring clips. As such I have broken many of them over the years trying to remove things. I initially had trouble with the clip on the rear hose at the frame crossmember but after some thinking, cooling off, and a beverage it became clear and I removed it without destroying anything.

So on the axle side passenger side comes loose drivers side no go. This is odd to me as I had these off back in February when I fixed the rear brakes but oh well. Let it soak a little longer. Went back after another 30 minutes and the flare nut rounded itself off even with a flare nut wrench. Well now I'm aggravated. It's 95 degrees out, I'm working on the black driveway, etc etc. End up taking a vice grip to the nut (it qas already round) and voila off it comes.

Now I'm just going to say this but are any of you guys familiar with the soft, butter like JIS (not philips head) headed bolts on 70's and 80's japanese motorcycles? More specifically how easily they strip out?

Yeah that's how soft it seems all these brake line flare nuts are.

Back on track I install the rear lines and start adding fluid back to system. Turns out the new crush washers on the new front line are too thin to seal on the caliper. So off with the line, old, significantly thicker crush washer reinstalled and leak fixed. But now I've run out of brake fluid and I'm done with the heat so I stop there.

Next morning I get more fluid and have to run to get some clear tubing for bleeding the lines.

Everything bleeds out fine and I even got the rear ABS bled out as well.

Still need to swap out the passenger side front and it looks like I'll need a drivers side rear line now. Might just bite the bullet and start making my own lines. Now just need to find a source for stronger flare nuts.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I usually have to replace the steel lines anyway because up here they usually just break near the flare nut anyway. Vice grips on the old nuts and new hardlines are the way I've always done it myself.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Now I'm just going to say this but are any of you guys familiar with the soft, butter like JIS (not philips head) headed bolts on 70's and 80's japanese motorcycles? More specifically how easily they strip out?
Boy you're not kidding there! On the ones that hold the float bowls on, I'll usually break them loose with a pair of Vise Grips. Then, if they're still good enough to use, I put some anti seize on the threads and make sure to be sloppy enough to get some on the bottoms of the heads.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never tried them but that’s a pretty good price for everything. May need to modify it a bit but looks pretty good

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good news. Big Ugly got a bath.

Bad news these are the after photos.
You must be registered for see images attach

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a good looking truck. Stop dising it!

Big ugly???? That thing is prettier than mine!! :dunno

It has gotten better looking.

In my defense I did say it's getting some rehab right now.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I told him that too. Seeing it in person it really isn't that bad. I've driven way worse.

I'm tempted to sneak over to his campsite at night and straighten the front bumper though :D:p

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I told him that too. Seeing it in person it really isn't that bad. I've driven way worse.

I'm tempted to sneak over to his campsite at night and straighten the front bumper though :D:p

I sure wish you had. It bothers me too. But there are other, more important things that bother me more.

One day.

And to all my Rally brothers/sisters it was great meeting you guys. Can't wait to do it again

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
I sure wish you had. It bothers me too. But there are other, more important things that bother me more.

One day.

And to all my Rally brothers/sisters it was great meeting you guys. Can't wait to do it again
Thanks for swinging by, it was great you were able to get the logistics figured out fo a visit.

Now you have a year to plan and get ready for the next one!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88