Best gage

jlwoods99

Reaction score
I did a search and didn't find exactly what I was looking for. I need a oil pressure gage, I'm not wanting to spend big bucks but I don't want the cheapest either. So with that being said, what do ya'll recommend for middle price good quality and are mechanical gauges better than electrical. Currently I have trans temp and EGT. Along with the factory ones.

thanks

Jim

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Autometer makes nice factory match gauges. I think that today's modern technology can make accurate electronic gauges, and that would be my preference.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah,the days of running hot fluids in your cab in an attempt to get an accurate reading are gone.
i just swapped out my junk digital cyberdyne gauges for some good old basic accurate autometer z series short sweep e-gauges.
on of which was their oil pressure gauges as well.
what an upgrade.stay clear of cyberdynes trash.

it's by no means one of the best gauges $ can buy or anything.it has nothing for features found in top end units.
just a good old school common favorite.
http://www.amazon.com/Auto-Meter-26...eries+Short+Sweep+Electric+Oil+Pressure+Gauge

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I'm using VDO gauges from Napa, not the best back lighting for night time use but seem to be accurate. Price was plenty fair.

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Autometer or VDO. I have had good luck with both. If using electrical gauges make sure you have a good ground, as that is the common problem.

Archie

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
I have electric Prosport Oil Pressure and Water Temp gauges and so far they are working very well. They definitely do not like voltage fluctuations though. If I turn my lights on and the heater fan on high, my water temp gauge rises by 8 degrees and my oil pressure gauge drops by 4 pounds. I'm going to explore my ground and see if maybe I'm not getting a good enough one, but I'm pretty sure it has a solid ground. What I might actually do is ground them individually as they share a common ground right now and that may be the problem...Otherwise, they are bright and perfectly readable during the day and look awesome at night and they have a full 270 degree sweep which I like, especially for the oil pressure gauge because as most of us know these old diesels can easily see 10 pounds or less at idle and the little short sweep gauges barely register at that pressure...

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I know, they are not very affordable at all, but I have bought other brands before and in the long run they cost Me more, more time and more work again. The ISSpro gauges I got years ago are still spot on accurate as well as the new ones I got for another one of My trucks.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
...and are mechanical gauges better than electrical. ...

Honestly, no, they're all going to have some error... Personally I prefer mechanical for some, electric for some...
Now If you're just looking for something to get you by, you can get mechanical oil pressure & H2O temperature gauges at most parts stores for about 30.

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a slew of gauges I picked up from a local truck wrecker. They all came out of a Freightliner highway tractor and Im pretty sure are made by Isspro. They are about 2 1/16" diam and fit my pillar quad pod with minimal filing to enlarge the holes slightly. I have been using the autometer 2258 sending units and so far they are all workin great! So far I have Eng. oil, tranny, diff (all AM2258's), boost (mech.), water temp (AM2385), and pyro (stole the probe when I got the gauge)...all these gauges were $10 each, some wreckers sell em for $5 each. The senders cost me about $12 each, so I got all rigged up for pretty cheap...still got more gauges to install later when I get around to making my custom dash...

Im just gonna have to figure out (hopefully with some help here) how to make a Freightliner speedo work in this mess. Cable to elec? Dont really have a clue to how its gonna happen...

jlwoods99

Reaction score
So no real consensus on mechanical or electrical in a mid range price. thank you all for response. Will look at the ones recommended.

Jim

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had a sunpro autozone specail was like 22 dollars its a mechanical oil pressure as well as water there lil over 2 years old an work well never had a problem. I have a isspro pyro is about the only expinsive gauge I have an the only reason is its the most important gauge in the truck imho.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online