BB and G code Injecter differances

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to show us what the G code injector looks like on the pop stand???

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Not really. What I would have to do is assemble it to the factory specs. I harvested the shims from both sets of them. I really never plan to ever run a set of G codes because they are terrible compared to the Bb codes. I had been running G codes for years. I was thinking the wording "turbo G code" injecters were the best. Then I changed them for a new set. Still felt they were fine till I bought a set of Bb codes from Russ. Well it was like adding two more cylinders to my V8 engine. Timing was set the same too so its definatley the G codes are not a powerful as the Bb codes. I did all the timing and testing possible proving what I found. Now if others feel the G codes are better than BB codes thats fine too. They are not what I will ever run again. they do not work well enough in my turbo engine. I really feel they didn't work well in my other engine too.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting.

I do wonder though how much of the performance difference you saw was 'BB' vs 'G' spec and how much was new vs old injectors.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's odd.i put the G codes in mine.brand new,not used.they work great for me.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

From all the info I can find.

7.3 L IDI Ford Factory Turbocharged ( G code ) *NEW* Diesel Fuel Injectors, fits 1993, 1994 OEM # 2C3Z9VE527ARM, 991864C91

7.3L IDI Ford Diesel Pickup with serpentine belt ( E code ) * NEW * Diesel Fuel Injectors, 1992.5, 1993, 1994 OEM # 2C3Z9VE527DRM, 991838C91

7.3 L IDI Ford ( B, BB, C or D code ) *NEW* Diesel Fuel Injectors, fits 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992 OEM# 2C3Z9VE527ERM, 2C3Z9VE527FRM 991612C91

When stricter emissions (EPA) in 93 - 94, the IDI was supplied with G code injectors, that was so the IDI could pass the emissions test, that tells me that the injected fuel was lessened. No place can I find what the CC of a G code is, nor can I find that for the BB code. I can only surmise that the BB code has a higher CC of fuel injection. Why there is a difference in the E code for the above years with a sepentine belt is also a mystery.

I think Gary (ican) was only demonstrating the difference of the pintles. I don't see where he said they wouldn't work, only that he experienced more power verses new G code to new BB code.

Interesting.

I do wonder though how much of the performance difference you saw was 'BB' vs 'G' spec and how much was new vs old injectors.

If you reread his post, he said he put in NEW G codes before he changed to BB code.

Last edited:

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't the cc's of each injector be decided by the pump, the "injectors" in these engines are only really nozzles. Basically pressure relief valves, they hold til x-amount of pressure and stay open til the flow stops and pressure drops below x-amount again. All they control is spray pattern/atominization.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Big nozzle, little nozzle. How much can you spray in 20 thousands of a second at 1800 RPM?

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
I can think of at least 3 things that can be different:

1: Flow rate
2: Spray angle
3: Opening pressure

I thought the G code injectors had a higher opening pressure?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As was posted... I installed NEW G codes and ran them for a short time. Mileage was not much ... Then, I installed the Bb codes. I timed the engine the same degrees with the G abd Bb codes. I got better mileage and better hp with the Bb codes. No matter how you try to take this apart. Bb codes work better than the G codes. Yes, The G codes pop open at a higher pressure. They pop at 2200 lbs where the Bb pop at 1850 lbs. For those that can actually shim and pop a Bb code at 2100 lbs give it a try. You want to press the limits.. Well make a set to pop at 2500 lbs... To do that will kill your pump in a short time as will the injecters be worn out faster but we run a inexpensive fuel system anyway. So you might get 75,000 miles from a pump and injecters but what kind of proformance will you get along with mileage improvement. Now run with that and see what happens....:D:sly

Black dawg

Reaction score

Yeah, they worked good for me too. I had one fail and couldnt get a fresh set, and was sold bb codes. Smoke went from very little to too much, power stayed the same (or less, because I had to baby the throttle to avoid smoke) and towing mpg went down 2mpg. I have tested these bb codes (delphi) several times over the years, and they do hold a good spray pattern longer than the g code (or any other oem injector in these trucks), but they are after all an injector designed for a low fuel rate no turbo engine.

I have tested and run every code injector that I could get my hands on, and four sets of modified injectors, and I liked the G code the best.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well with all the pro G code injecters being posted here I may try shimming a set of them I have here and test what you guys are posting. I'm not looking for a favorable test result. Just a test to see if maybe I missed something a few years ago.

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gary I shared some pics of my old injectors removed yesterday on your shim post. They were all Bb code, probably the originals. The rebuilt set I received were a mix of Delphi G and Stanadyne E code. Can you recommend a re builder for the Bb set?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Pasterjeep... I really don't recommend any rebuilt injecters from anyone. Reason is the parts to rebuild an injecter are more than a new injecter. So I ask myself how the hell does a seller "replace" parts. Shim and test an injecter and still make a profit. Short answer is they can't. So your getting a cleaned injecter that MIGHT have been pop tested. Even buying a new injecter made by Delphi has problems. They are assembled in Mexico or possibiliy made there too but they have a terrible quality control. Russ aka typ4 has opened up a new from the box injecter and found metal shaving in it. Seems nobody really cares anymore bout our engines...

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
Can my Bb inj be disassembled and cleaned in a vibrating cleaner ( pistol shell case cleaner) then soaked and reassembled then pop tested. Or do you use another method of cleaning?

Last edited: