Codes 43 63

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rebuilt transmission with 4,000 miles on it continues to get worse. The OD light will start flashing within 2 miles of starting. The transmission hunts between 2-3 a lot now - it used to just hunt around 42mph but now it hunts at a wider ranger of speeds. I've gone over every conceivable ground point, pulled the instrument cluster/PSOM and could see no burnt traces or burnt capacitors. The speedometer and tachometer are both working smoothly. I've tested the throttle sensor - both idle and full throttle are within acceptable limits and the sweep from idle to full is smooth with no dead spots. I can send the cluster to Texas for an overhaul ($250 & 2 weeks) but I'm not sure it will help. Wouldn't I get a code related to speed if the PSOM was the cause?
Hate to keep coming back with this same problem....

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Well, 63 is for fipl signal set too low, check the adjustment again?

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last time a few days ago I got 1.04 volts (high idle off) ... Today I found .99 volts and 3.84 volts open throttle. I found a post (not sure from who) who found 1.09 volts to be a good adjustment, so I thought 1.04 was sort of in the ballpark. Maybe tomorrow I'll adjust it to 1.09 and see what it does.
Most of my troubleshooting was done with a dead EEC IV - it just started working a few days ago.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Here's a handy tech article about the fipl. Also states the earlier models were known to have issues to. It looks like the range should be closer to 1v-4.5v.

When I set the fipl on the in laws truck, I've always used the obd1 scanner method, which is you put a 0.515 shim between the throttle and the stop plate, have someone hold the throttle down to keep the shims in place, then adjust the fipl. Directions on setting it via a scan tool instead of a meter:

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I set the idle at 1.09 and took the truck for a short ride. No hunting and no no flashing OD light light. The truck sat for 5 hours and when I went to back it into the garage for the night the OD light was flashing again. I took the truck for another test ride and the transmission shifted fine - no hunting, but once home I checked and the same codes I cleared were back.. 43 & 63. I checked the FIPL and it was still 1.09 volts at warm idle...

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking out loud here... Next I'll replace the TPS - even though there's a flawless sweep on the multimeter as the throttle increases to fully open there appears to be a recurring code set.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have heard LED taillights can affect the E4OD, not sure if that causes other symptoms, but worth asking, do you have LED taillights and if so do you have inline resistors to keep it from going mad?

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No LED brake lights or turn signal bulbs. I do have LED clearance lights that look really good. From what I've read the problem with LED brake lights is the TCM needs to see resistance which the LED brake lights aren't providing. Thanks for the suggestion though. The TPS isn't available locally - Napa can have the gray one Friday or the black one Monday...

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
The gray one is the updated one, I suggest you use that one.

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couldn't get the gray TPS, installed a black Echlin today and took the truck for a longer test drive it appears that was the problem. All this grief could have been shortened if the EEC terminal had allowed me to get codes earlier.