BB and G code Injecter differances

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gary I may have a set of G codes floating around here you could have one and um...pop test it and show the differences LOL

BTW whats up with that third pop tester??? ;Poke

rockbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a random thought - do you think that there is enough difference between the G and BB injectors that each one has a preferred timing? Perhaps 9.5 BTDC is ideal for the BB's but running a degree retarded is actually better for the G's?

If someone had lots of time on their hands, they could check their pulse timing with a set of BB's installed, then see what the corresponding luminosity timing is. Once that data is recorded, swap in a G injector into #1 and verify pulse timing is the same as the BB and/or adjust as needed. Once again, check the luminosity timing with the G injector to see if the ignition event is the same, advanced, or retarded as compared to the BB.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
G code injectors have two seats in them. You can see them in Gary's loupe. This allows them to seal better, but at the same time, allows them to go to crap faster. The main objective was to prevent leakdown, but in actuality increases the likelihood of it. We don't sell them, and nobody is selling them that I know of. We can pop test and reman a set of injectors for about $200, but that does not get you new nozzles. Basically, as was stated, if the nozzles are bad, it's more financially viable to just sell you a new one. When we are slow, we do try to put together in house rebuilds, that we can sell to people on a very tight budget. But new BB's are really what you want to be looking at.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Mel how is the availability of the injectors? are new ones still hard to get like they have been in the past?

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mel, I just pulled a full set of Bb,s out of my 84. Five of them were leaking so bad they were still soaking wet and dripping after siting all night and two were bubbling from the tips! I want to try and clean them and pop test them. What is the best solution for cleaning? Vibratory cleaner full of walnut shells or just soak in some kind of super cleanser?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
G codes are made and are sold today.the reason i bought them was because they are quality factory built stanadyne injectors built in Italy as is the ip.the other reason was because there are so many myths about them floating around the net but no actual facts.
i put them in and run a WOT test after removing a set of delphi BB codes.performance was improved and idle was smoother.
they make my 8k lb empty truck scoot right up to 80MPH without effort.i can't tell you they are better,worse,indifferent than any other injector or if they are emission based or not as i don't know.i do know however they are far superior than the readings iv read about on various forums.
if this helps,cool.if not,that's cool too.
i bought my new G codes here:
http://usdieselparts.com/c-778865-ford-1983-1994-ford-6-9l-7-3l-idi-injectors.html

fuel economy is in my sig.
(sorry no dyno info.)

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
G codes are made and are sold today.the reason i bought them was because they are quality factory built stanadyne injectors built in Italy as is the ip.the other reason was because there are so many myths about them floating around the net but no actual facts.
i put them in and run a WOT test after removing a set of delphi BB codes.performance was improved and idle was smoother.
they make my 8k lb empty truck scoot right up to 80MPH without effort.i can't tell you they are better,worse,indifferent than any other injector or if they are emission based or not as i don't know.i do know however they are far superior than the readings iv read about on various forums.
if this helps,cool.if not,that's cool too.
i bought my new G codes here:
http://usdieselparts.com/c-778865-ford-1983-1994-ford-6-9l-7-3l-idi-injectors.html

fuel economy is in my sig.
(sorry no dyno info.)

I am reading what you post and want to understand. What causes me to question what you have posted about removing the Bb codes and installing G codes is what condition were the Bb in when they came out. I have no dought your mileage went up and buttometer dyno told you of and icrease. But not knowing what condition the Bb were gives me no warm fuzzy feeling. I believe we need to install a new set of Bb codes. Then remove it and install a set of new G codes. Then we will have a difinative answer to these questions. Bench marks are needed for a fair comparrison. I do know this. My G codes were nearly brand new. When I installed a set of new Bb codes it was like 2 more cylinders just got added to my V9 engine. Some have ridden in my rig. Mel and Ken have. Its no slouch either. Mel's comment at the 2009 rally was he was not going to drag race any E4OD truck. I manually shifted up thru the gears on that blast. It would have been more impressive had I used the Gear Vendors in every gear forward...That would have been splitting 4 gears making it an 8 speed...:eek::sly:angel: When my engine sucks... Pops... Blows & goes you need to be ready for it. I'm still wondering what a set of 4.10 gears will make it feel like. I'm no ricky racer but I like hp to move 6600 lbs down the road too....

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not an injection system expert my any means, but I strongly doubt that there's much effective difference between any set of properly functioning idi injectors. The nozzle design is going to control the atomization of the fuel to some extent, but 90% of the battle is getting the fuel there in the first place. With the same physical chamber design there's not much that's going to change. Theoretically yes you would probably want a slightly larger nozzle in a turbo to deal with the large fuel volume, but you're still limited by flame front propagation and the combustion dynamics, so I doubt the optimal size would really be much different. (larger nozzle would dump more fuel, at the same time, but unless it's atomized it's not going to do much good)

Direct injection motors have much more critical injector design as they've got a much greater volume to atomize the fuel in, less swirl, etc. With the idi you're limited by the very small volume of the prechamber, so there's a very limited volume for the fuel to be atomized in and very limited in what you can do with the injector. The DI motor injects into the entire cylinder volume so there's much more volume for atomization to happen and multi port injectors and such work well.

As an example, imagine you're squiring water into a room and the goal is to put as much water in as possible with it atomizing completely before it hits the walls - if it's a tiny closet there's not much volume to work with, whereas a larger room lets you just a larger nozzle, etc. Not really a great example, but you sort of get the idea.

At the end of the day I really don't think injectors matter all that much as long as they're for an idi and in good shape. The possible exception is Mel's custom injectors since they specifically designed for high power high fuel rate idi motors with no emissions concerns. Even then I don't expect there's much really effective difference.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Direct injection happens at a much higher injecter pressure. Minum pressure is 20,000 lbs. They are a multi port nozle too. When you get up in the stage 5 injecters the pressures are around 40,000 psi and the design of the 5 holes in the nozzle is a square design.. So I have been told... Wow, Thats some pressure. I feel we can increase proformance by boosting our injecter pressure on the Bb codes to 2200 or 2300 lbs pop pressure but. This will decrease the life of the injecters and the pump. It has not been tested nor proven. Just shop talk with those in the know. I listen well...:angel::D

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am reading what you post and want to understand. What causes me to question what you have posted about removing the Bb codes and installing G codes is what condition were the Bb in when they came out. I have no dought your mileage went up and buttometer dyno told you of and icrease. But not knowing what condition the Bb were gives me no warm fuzzy feeling. I believe we need to install a new set of Bb codes. Then remove it and install a set of new G codes. Then we will have a difinative answer to these questions.

i removed a set of delphi BB codes.a reman set from the U-haul clear out sale a little wile ago.so very very true,it wasn't a fair comparison but i wanted to see if G codes were as bad as iv read and i just don't think so.
my truck has always required plenty of work,so i could never just swap healthy parts for other healthy parts.now i suppose i could.in the name of testing.it's not like i couldn't sell a set or use them latter i guess.
i could toss in a set of new E codes.should be close enough to delphi bb code.both a N/A injector supposedly,and see if there is any difference but i really doubt id notice anything.id prefer to stick with stanadyne,this is why id try a set of E's.
i removed the factory '93 stanadyne E codes before that.those were in real bad shape.

you've got me interested in trying some other injectors now with your personal experience.my truck feels very strong now though,but who knows.perhaps a different set would make it feel vastly different just like they did for your truck.iv got no regrets trying the G's though.

edit,
i also like and agree with post #24 above and was a reason why i didn't fear trying a set of G's despite the "emission based" "non performing" "you want BB codes only" comments everywhere in idi forums.
however,as iv stated though i do not feel the G's to be superior.just as i do agree with post #24.i just don't think they are a poor injector.again though,be sure i do not know. i know my truck sure doesn't seem to mind 'em lol.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find these recent posts very interesting. Stanadyne used to manufacture a lot of their stuff here in the U.S., but much of their manufacturing has been moved overseas, including China. I find it interesting that that web site is offering all kinds of letter codes, and that their prices are all over the map. It really makes me wonder if this stuff is current, or new old stock. If it is current, I'd question where it is being made, and if Stanadyne is actually making it. Lucas/CAV was original equipment nozzles on most IDI's from Ford. They were made in England or Italy. Italy is actually a kick-ass country when it comes to diesel stuff. They have been at it so long, it has made them a real center of manufacturing. CAV became Lucas, which became Delphi, so we have had great success with Delphi product, and availability has been very good this year. Considering how every 6.9 or 7.3 runs great on BB's, there is very little reason to offer anything else. One of the other dangers with other letter codes, is that just because there is a letter stamped on the nut, does not mean that is what it is. One almost needs to pull the part number off of the nozzle to verify what the injector actually is.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find these recent posts very interesting. Stanadyne used to manufacture a lot of their stuff here in the U.S., but much of their manufacturing has been moved overseas, including China. I find it interesting that that web site is offering all kinds of letter codes, and that their prices are all over the map. It really makes me wonder if this stuff is current, or new old stock. If it is current, I'd question where it is being made, and if Stanadyne is actually making it. Lucas/CAV was original equipment nozzles on most IDI's from Ford. They were made in England or Italy. Italy is actually a kick-ass country when it comes to diesel stuff. They have been at it so long, it has made them a real center of manufacturing. CAV became Lucas, which became Delphi, so we have had great success with Delphi product, and availability has been very good this year. Considering how every 6.9 or 7.3 runs great on BB's, there is very little reason to offer anything else. One of the other dangers with other letter codes, is that just because there is a letter stamped on the nut, does not mean that is what it is. One almost needs to pull the part number off of the nozzle to verify what the injector actually is.

my recent G codes came in brand new boxes marked "made in Italy" in their individual boxes per injector.
they are also dated per each individual box.i forget the date marked on the boxes now,but during install i noted the injector dates stamped on the boxes were very recent.

i don't know,but i presume one only needs to contact their local stanadyne dealer and ask them if they can order them some 1993-1994 oem turbo G code injectors and ask them directly any questions about availability,where they're made and current production run info.
there's no reason to guess about them as they are still a very major co. making parts every day and are just a click or call away.
one can ask about the oem E codes as well.somewhere around '92-93 that code was oem for the n/a's as this is what my engine had.they were just real old though so i had to ditch 'em.once i replaced those for the bb's a while back,that really cured lots of white smoke and 6 sec cold starts (down to 1-2 sec) and smoothed her right out.the G codes i just bought last year i think it was now.don't hold me to it,but i think the dates on the boxes where just around 6 months or a year or something like this.indicating to me at least,the production hasn't halted that i know of.

stanadyne and this seller both represented the product as "new".
could it be one or both conned me? i can't say,but i had nothing to indicate this to be the case nor at any time since purchase had i felt it to be so.

http://www.stanadyne.com/view.php?id=44

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online