battery cables????

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my 94 idi needs cables and batts.now my 95 psd has brand new cables and batts that i put in maybe 2 years ago.the 95 is down with as blown tranny and turbo.i dont want to use it for parts but im broke and need cables.

are the idi and psd battery cables the same or can the psd cables be made to work on the idi/

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good question...I'm going to bump this. I have never really been under the hood of a PSD but they have similar starters and CCA requirements, and the body styles of your IDI and stroke are similar. It makes me think it could happen.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i did cables in my old 94 idi and in the psd i swear they were very similar but there are those here that know for sure

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep...I'm hoping one of them will give you a for sure answer, although most/many of our hard core gearheads are probably still at the rally.

ihatelaramie

Reaction score
I have an 86 IDI and the GF has a 97 PSD, and I can say pretty confidently that the cables, side by side, look almost exactly the same. That being said, I'd bet that if there was any difference, it'd probably be that the newer stuff is heavier gauge deal with higher load requirements.

Just my .02

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to say, even having never seen one, its a dual battery system and in a Ford OBS truck how different can it really be? I agree they probably improved the cables with the PSD cause I haven't heard as many complaints about them as the 6.9/7.3 positive cable. Before I got my truck I knew of two people from work that had IDIs and the one guy almost burned his truck down, it was an 85 or 86 I think and the other guy is my boss's brother in law and he went through about 5-6 sets of POS cables on his 7.3 IDI in the many years he owned it. I swore my cables were fine but at the tail end of my head gasket R&R y dad and I almost burned my truck down, same thing, fried cables. My newer one which was purchased from Ford in 05 still seems ok but then I have kept good batts in it all it's life and tried to keep clean tight connections and not grind on teh starter excessively.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my idi needs the pos cable.i did both my old idi and my psd around the same time and i know they looked close to the same.just wanted to make sure but im just gonna go for it today or tomorow

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see no reason why the cables couldn't be swapped, so long as the length is sufficient.

As for those factory junk cables that came on the early IDIs, with that Positive terminal molded in the middle of the HOT cable, that was a very poor design from the get-go; it was just another example of factory engineering ways of saving money into vehicle design.

Think about it for a minute :

You have TWO big batteries.

You have TWO big GROUND cables.

Properly wired and connected, you should have DOUBLE the available starting amperage of a single battery system.

YET, Ford, in all their money saving wisdom, makes one marginally sized cable do the work that two separate cables should be doing.

Wired as Ford supplied them, all that extra amperage from having two batteries is negated by having that amperage "resisted" (choked down) into that single HOT cable.

It isn't any wonder that they get hot and burn.

Also, that choked down cable is probably the reason everyone is so scared to crank the starter for more than a few seconds, else it will suffer a melt-down.

With a big separate cable for each terminal providing all available amperage from two good healthy batteries, the starter is not going to get nearly so hot and will stand up to minutes of cranking, instead of seconds. :backoff

Many years ago, I switched to Group-31 STUD POST batteries and separate cables and advise everyone else to do likewise when finances allow, :)

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well on the psd we have our winshield washer bottle and overflow tanks on the passengers side.so the only difference i can see there is the psd cable might be a little longer than the idi.they both have the pigtails that go to the fender solenoid and both wires for the starter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online