At last something new!

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
I agree, he was definitely camera-shy and you could tell.

I recently was nominated to take a class on how to deal with the media. It was taught by a retired news anchor from NBC. We had to be interviewed repeatedly until we were comfortable just talking to the interviewer. They would play it back on a big screen in front of the whole class!! I know all about nervous. :puke:

My point was that maybe they should have cut some of his segment out because he was so nervous. If their biggest customer was the Army maybe it doesn't matter. Joe public would be wary of anything that guy was selling.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
;Sweet

That is super-cool. I did some searching around for any developments about this engine in the Army but couldn't find anything. Too bad, I'd like to know more.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
I can't wait for these to be released! I thought of something very similar in high school while doodling in math class. Its pretty cool to see it actually having potential.

When I was 8, shortly after I first understood how a conventional internal combustion 4-stroke worked, I drew up "plans" for a revolutionary new engine design one morning at school. All day long I was secretly excited about it, I couldn't wait to get home and impress my emotionally-distant engineer dad with it. I was so proud when I handed him the piece of notebook paper that night, only to have him grunt "huh, that's a pretty crude drawing of a rotary engine, kid". This was before the Internet and our Encyclopedia Britannica was from 1956, so I really thought I had "invented" it. I was crushed. :cry:

Anyway, I think this new design is fantastic, and I can't wait to see a practical application first-hand. Simplicity always wins in the long run.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. opposed cylinder engines are very old, but opposed pistons are a new concept. Most opposed cylinders have heads- these motors don't use heads as they have another piston to press against.

Umm... not quite. Sort of, but no. Opposed CYLINDER engines, your right. Old technology, and the boxer engine in a Suburu I think is like this. Opposed PISTON engines however, are not new, and are still in use. Fairbanks Morse developed the opposed piston engine for the U.S. Navy, which was highly sucessfull, and after the war led FM into the locomotive manufacturing business. FM still exists today, and still makes engines for the Navy. http://www.fairbanksmorse.com/engine_opposed_piston_model_38.php?return=marine_power.php

The thing about the FM engines, is they use 2 crankshafts connected by big gears on one end. This of course, adds a lot of weight and rotating mass. This OPOC design is pretty neat, but I see a lot of pitfalls with it.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Mel is correct, I have seen or maybe more correctly have felt one of these engines run. I work for "the phone company" and the building I work in is a large office/central office building. We have/had one of those large FM engines as one of the back-up generators in the basement.

These are massive. Ours is/was a 9 cylender 18 piston engine. It was 2 stories tall, probally 20 feet long. It ran at govenored WOT of a scrraming 900 rpm (that is not a typo). It started with an air starter, with the 3 reserve tanks being the size of a large industrial air compressors, and those were good for maybe 2 starts without needing recharged. It was super and turbo charged. When this thing was running it was undescribeable!!!! It was almost a buzz sound, like a large saw, you could FEEL it run in your entire body. IT was so loud that, with hearing protection, you could not communicate, even by screaming directly into someones ear, leaning in to scrream at them. The exhaust pipe for this thing I thing was a 24" pipe that goes to the roof of our building, which would make it 24 stories tall. When it is running it puts enought heat into the pipe, that it will grow in length by a couple of feet!!!! It still used oil, as it had only been run for testing purposes, so not long term running, it had not seated in rings. This was put in in the 40's and had not run enought to seat the rings!!!!! They measured oil consumption in GALLONS in the hour that it would run. It blew enough oil into the exhaust they had to install a drain in the muffler that hung from the celing down there. It drained into a 55 gallon drum!!!! They did not have to empty the drum after every running, but it was emptied on a regular basis. I wish I could share this experience..... it was amaizing!!! I guess that means I am a diehard motorhead huh......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online