At last something new!

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Pretty cool. They should have cut that guy towards the end out, he added nothing and didn't appear to know much about it other than what he read just before the show. The German engineer knew his stuff.

My twisted brain was thinking that this would be an awesome configuration for a motorcycle engine- two stroke gas; mount it down low and the CG would be unbelievable. It would seem that the bike would be able to out-maneuver and out-corner everything on the road presently. ;Sweet

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Isn't this a new twist on an old idea? I thought opposed cylinder type engines have been around for years? I think maybe aviation? Definitely cool nonetheless!

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty cool. They should have cut that guy towards the end out, he added nothing and didn't appear to know much about it other than what he read just before the show. The German engineer knew his stuff.

My twisted brain was thinking that this would be an awesome configuration for a motorcycle engine- two stroke gas; mount it down low and the CG would be unbelievable. It would seem that the bike would be able to out-maneuver and out-corner everything on the road presently. ;Sweet

i dont think it would make a good bike engine due to the design. think about how a bike gets traction in the corner and then think about how this engine works.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Isn't this a new twist on an old idea? I thought opposed cylinder type engines have been around for years? I think maybe aviation? Definitely cool nonetheless!

Yeah. opposed cylinder engines are very old, but opposed pistons are a new concept. Most opposed cylinders have heads- these motors don't use heads as they have another piston to press against.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
i dont think it would make a good bike engine due to the design. think about how a bike gets traction in the corner and then think about how this engine works.

Not sure I follow... my bike just spins the back tire in most corners. (I ride mostly dirt) It might mean a different riding style, but look at the new YZ450's and Husaberg designs. They are all about lowering the weight in the bike's frame.

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
if that would go in a bike, it would lower the center of gravity making it more comfortable to lean into a corner with, then lower the suspension with some nitro shocks or the like, some tires with good side bite and go do some MX ;Sweet

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
I'm wondering what the reliability will be like.....Must be decent if the military is taking great interest in it.....I think for this to be in a bike it'd be geared more toward a street touring/cruiser type chassis where length is not a problem.....who needs it in dirt anyways? Nothin wrong with an old 125 Husqvarna!

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score

Nah, that guy knew his stuff. He just seemed nervous :puke: as hell! lol I could hear it in his voice and tell by his body language. LOL

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
I can't wait for these to be released! I thought of something very similar in high school while doodling in math class. Its pretty cool to see it actually having potential.