Apache project was(moose on the loose)

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The low down for new viewers. thinking of putting a DT466 in a old Apache truck. full body restore, convert to crew and 4wd. was wondering if this has been done before. What kind of Hp can I produce with this, and what upgrades are available. read on another post that pump can possibly be moosed. getting motor and running gear free so some room for upgrade budget. Will probly take years to produce finished project, but plan on posting process in pics. What do you all think, comments or critisim accepted w/open arms.
GOD BLESS
newly;Sweet

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's pretty cool. I don't know much about apache trucks. Can you get some measurements on how much room you have in the engine bay? The big problem is that motor is a long son of a gun, moreso than a 6bt.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
We have been talking about this a lot, as far as a DT is concerned, and it's the best of all worlds. It's got the strength and upgrading the power is almost too easy. The only downside is the size and that can be handled by doghousing the firewall. But beyond that, it's a stronger motor than a Cummins, and the wet sleeves make doing a rebuild much nicer.
Power wise, it's a matter of how far you want to go with it. Change the turbo and turn up the fuel, 600hp on the stock injectors (nevrenufhp quote from Hypermax); injectors, twins and pump work will get you to 1000hp and still be streetable; all out, full build with all the goodies 1500hp and up. It's the torque that will blow your mind and the driveline up, 2.3-2.5 lbs/ft per hp, way better than a B Series Cummins.
Driveline wise, put the strongest stuff under there because this motor will chew it up. Don't put a pickup trans behind it, use a MD or a Class 8 trans.

Last edited:

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's pretty cool. I don't know much about apache trucks. Can you get some measurements on how much room you have in the engine bay? The big problem is that motor is a long son of a gun, moreso than a 6bt.

Ill try and pull some measurements this weekend. I realize the firewall will have to be modified, but I would feel better choppin up an old pickup as opposed to the new stuff, those old chevys are stout, plus the interior will be customized anyway.;Sweet

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have been talking about this a lot, as far as a DT is concerned, and it's the best of all worlds. It's got the strength and upgrading the power is almost too easy. The only downside is the size and that can be handled by doghousing the firewall. But beyond that, it's a stronger motor than a Cummins, and the wet sleeves make doing a rebuild much nicer.
Power wise, it's a matter of how far you want to go with it. Change the turbo and turn up the fuel, 600hp on the stock injectors (nevrenufhp quote from Hypermax); injectors, twins and pump work will get you to 1000hp and still be streetable; all out, full build with all the goodies 1500hp and up. It's the torque that will blow your mind and the driveline up, 2.3-2.5 lbs/ft per hp, way better than a B Series Cummins.
Driveline wise, put the strongest stuff under there because this motor will chew it up. Don't put a pickup trans behind it, use a MD or a Class 8 trans.
sounds encouraging;Sweet;Sweet no pickup trans, ill look into my options. thanks for the info, cant wait to get this project underway.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
If it were my truck, and I love spending other people's money, get a double overdrive 13 speed transmission. Then throw the transfer case and axles from a Deuce under the truck. And for maximum effect, a 3 speed brownie box (under/direct/over). You will never get stuck, pull anything and probably hit 150 mph! 39 speeds plus the transfer case splits and 2300 lb/ft of torque!;burnout:peelout:Thumbs Up-Drool-Drool-Drool

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
If it were my truck, and I love spending other people's money, get a double overdrive 13 speed transmission. Then throw the transfer case and axles from a Deuce under the truck. And for maximum effect, a 3 speed brownie box (under/direct/over). You will never get stuck, pull anything and probably hit 150 mph! 39 speeds plus the transfer case splits and 2300 lb/ft of torque!;burnout:peelout:Thumbs Up-Drool-Drool-Drool

My build idea, Keep the engine around "only" 400hp(consider the power to weight ratio). Then couple it to your trans of choice, Allison MD3060, or RTO6613. Get a transfer case and axles to a 5 ton, or source up some Fabcos if you want gears for the hiway(but not as strong). Fitting will be the issue, maybe look for the bigger Apaches, like the 1.5 ton.

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
keep the ideas coming, im taking notes. Actually was just on CR looking for duece parts, that was kinda my thinking too.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
More ideas?
ok....swipe air conditioning from a Grand Caravan, so you have dual controls, and rear air, if it's going to be a krew kab.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
There's a fellow OB that has some Dueces that he is getting rid of right now (Lonesome 7.3). If you decide to use a lot of gears, nevrenufhp is right, keep the power down to 400-500hp and it'll be more than enough to move the old girl around.

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a fellow OB that has some Dueces that he is getting rid of right now (Lonesome 7.3). If you decide to use a lot of gears, nevrenufhp is right, keep the power down to 400-500hp and it'll be more than enough to move the old girl around.

ya, i was just looking at those dueces. Nice collection, would love to have one but would hate to pit it out for parts.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
ya, i was just looking at those dueces. Nice collection, would love to have one but would hate to pit it out for parts.

True, true. But with all that gear reduction and a 1000-1500 lb/ft of torque it'll be fun. Heck, I don't think my old Cat had that much power stock and it was twice the size!

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, would be fun, I cant quit picturing dual 8" stacks coming up in front of step side, saw an old 58 tow truck online last night that had the air breather on the side, looked pretty mean! guess id better start savin my pennies! wanna make this thing cherry, and have balls. definately looking into running gear from a duece. We will see what i can afford.