DT360: The beginning

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
awesome that you were able to get some room on the water pump. even if you only end up with 1/8" clearance, its still clearance!..

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
I'll be looking into that rebuild kit. Mine is good, but I'll rebuild the spare and throw it on the shelf! Yeah glad Carson is close enough to have personally delivered my adaptor plate! Haha. I have a local heavy diesel shop I made friends with, a head job is usually in the $350-400 range. Why do you need stiffer valve springs? I could see if you're running 5000 rpm....

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be looking into that rebuild kit. Mine is good, but I'll rebuild the spare and throw it on the shelf! Yeah glad Carson is close enough to have personally delivered my adaptor plate! Haha.

Must be nice. :D

I have a local heavy diesel shop I made friends with, a head job is usually in the $350-400 range. Why do you need stiffer valve springs? I could see if you're running 5000 rpm....

I was thinking the stock valve springs are only good for 3K RPM. What can you rev these engines up to on the stock valve springs?

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
I'm not sure. I don't see why they couldn't handle up to 3500ish. With all the towing I've done, I've never had to spin my idis or psd over 2900 rpm. I set the 466 to 3200 when it was on the dyno.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure. I don't see why they couldn't handle up to 3500ish. With all the towing I've done, I've never had to spin my idis or psd over 2900 rpm. I set the 466 to 3200 when it was on the dyno.

I've done a fair amount of towing as well, and I haven't taken my IDI over about 2800 RPM.

My thinking is that with as much time, money, brainpower, blood, swear and tears as I'll have into this swap by the time it's done, getting the engine dialed in at the beginning would be beneficial in the long run.

Say I get this completed in a couple of years and the DT is putting out 400 hp and 1000 ft/lbs of torque. So I drive it for a couple of years, 400 hp gets boring and I decide I want 600 hp and 1500 ft/lbs. At that point, if I built the engine correctly initially, ALL I will have to do is change out the injection pump, turbo, etc. I won't have to do any work internally at all, just bolt the larger components on. In the long run, I think it will be easier to spend the money now, rather than cutting corners and having a platform that will be more difficult to upgrade.

All that being said, once this project is actually on the road, I may decide 400 hp is more than enough. I would rather have the engine overbuilt for longevity than underbuilt... relatively speaking, of course. As long as the reciprocating assembly checks out, the bottom end on this engine is rumored to be capable of supporting in excess of 2000 hp. All I'm really focused on is some head work internally.

Last edited:

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's nice to see someone working to develop the power potential of these DT360's. I formerly drove a bus that ran the DT360 with a 6-speed stick, that thing NEVER ran over 2,900-3,000, even going downhill with tailwind, 59 MPH top speed. ;Sweet

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's nice to see someone working to develop the power potential of these DT360's.

I don't plan on making four-digit HP figures (at least initially). But the reason I bought this engine is because if I want to, I can relatively easily (really just based on how much $ I want to throw at it).

How long did you drive that bus for? Did you ever have any problems with it? Was there anything you really liked about the engine? Conversely, did it have any annoying quirks?

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't plan on making four-digit HP figures (at least initially). But the reason I bought this engine is because if I want to, I can relatively easily (really just based on how much $ I want to throw at it).

How long did you drive that bus for? Did you ever have any problems with it? Was there anything you really liked about the engine? Conversely, did it have any annoying quirks?

Never really had any real problems, the top speed kinda sucked when I had to drive in the 70MPH Interstate, but she apparently had enough power to spin both duals in the rear when on fresh asphalt, so.... :dunno I actually LOVED that bus, it would do ALMOST anything I wanted her to, BUT go fast. :rotflmao

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online