Anyone got a good source for new D50 leaf springs?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For as cheap as I can get an axle around here, my lack of welding skill, I would almost buy one for you if you'd build me a nice flexy 4 link haha, I wish.....

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

the triangulated kit i use runs double the price of said axle lol

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds about right actually, not surprising

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
johnny joints and 1.5" DOM tubing, FTW
sorry for the hijack GH

further more GH,
if you wanted to go another route, and you can get the parts, i can do the install for you,
for the price of food, and your labor!

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We charge $450 JUST TO PROPERLY ALIGN A TTB FRONT at work. No parts replaced or springs repaired or anything. We even have a custom spring shop within a few miles and its still way cheaper to swap a used 60 in.
$450 Just for an alignment? My local guy only charges $80 to do the alignment. He said he'd do the alignment and tie rods for around $170, with me supplying the parts.

I gave Betts a call, but they said for my truck it would have to be a special order and they didn't have the information for it on hand when I called, so that's a dead end for the moment.

I also called SD Springs. From them, the springs are about $120 each. For both sides, plus hardware and shipping out to California, was around $420 (I forget the exact amount). Damn that shipping hurts!

So, right now I'm at around $200 for the tie rids, $400 for the springs, and $200 to put everything on and align it. Considering the only D60 I know of offhand is close to $2k before seals / bearings / tie rods / etc, a D60 swap ain't that cheap.

If I can come across a D60 for the right price, I'll jump on it. For the time being though, my D50 doesn't need a rebuild but it sure could use a bandaid or three.

I'm on mobile right now so I can't reply to everyone very well until I get home, but thanks to everyone for the input thus far, keep it coming! :D

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did say do a TTB alignment RIGHT lol. You can set toe for $80 sure, but there is a lot more that goes into it once the center pivot bushing starts to get worn. It actually takes the guys 4 hours to truly align one when we do it.if your guy goes the whole nine yards for $80,he's a keeper haha, never take anything anywhere else

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
search for a local spring shop, there has to be one close to you that will save you on shipping...

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be nice to the D60 swap. I bought a whole truck for $350 that was headed for the scrap yard (missing rear end and tranny); after removing the front axle and some other goodies I got $280 at the scrap yard so the axle was pretty much free. I totally rebuilt my D60 and it cost me about $1000 but it was either 1K to freshen up the D50 or 1K for the D60 so it was a wash (mostly steering components). There is more to it than just swapping axles though; you will also have to install different blocks in the rear to level it so add those and new u-bolts.

Do you need new springs or just bushings in your D50? Re-bushing the D50 is a tough job (removing the axle to re-bush the center pivot sucks) but maybe you don't need springs. At least the springs are easy to swap later if you absolutely need to. If you are on a budget I would fix the D50 including spring bushings and see what an alignment tells you. This is a big job but the only cost (if you are doing the work) is the bushings and an alignment. I recommend Energy Suspension - see the thread in my signature for more info.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm standing with the swap guys on this one. I've got an extensive write up I will have to do, but long and short of it is I've got a coil sprung 60 going in, with 6 inches of lift that axle swap related cost only (front end) will have me at $555. A local yard delivered the axle for $255, and I am having a buddy good at welding build me a custom track bar bracket, plus a few other misc. Costs.

We charge $450 JUST TO PROPERLY ALIGN A TTB FRONT at work. No parts replaced or springs repaired or anything. We even have a custom spring shop within a few miles and its still way cheaper to swap a used 60 in.

Don't get me wrong, the TTB has its place on pre runners and coilover swaps, but for what your saying, 60 all the way

So you got an '05 or up front axle for $255 :eek: was that just the axle or brackets and everything? the king pin D60s go for a $1000 plus around here and need a full rebuild. the '05 and up stuff is usually pretty close to that, but tend to come in better shape and with more components.

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did say do a TTB alignment RIGHT lol. You can set toe for $80 sure, but there is a lot more that goes into it once the center pivot bushing starts to get worn. It actually takes the guys 4 hours to truly align one when we do it.if your guy goes the whole nine yards for $80,he's a keeper haha, never take anything anywhere else
Ok, that makes more sense. It definitely didn't take 4 hours to get mine aligned. More to it than I thought :D

Do you need new springs or just bushings in your D50? Re-bushing the D50 is a tough job (removing the axle to re-bush the center pivot sucks) but maybe you don't need springs. At least the springs are easy to swap later if you absolutely need to. If you are on a budget I would fix the D50 including spring bushings and see what an alignment tells you. This is a big job but the only cost (if you are doing the work) is the bushings and an alignment. I recommend Energy Suspension - see the thread in my signature for more info.
I don't know the true condition of the bushings; looking at what I can see from underneath the truck, I don't see anything obviously wrong with them, but that doesn't really mean a lot. My steering makes all kinds of creaking / popping noises when turning the wheel, and driving down the road there is a very annoying and near-constant squeaking / creaking coming from the drivers side somewhere. Something isn't happy down there, I just don't know for sure what it is beyond the tie rods.

The springs are more a shot in the dark / "might as well" than anything, that squeak is driving me insane. The guy I talked to at JD Springs said that Ford used the same springs for the F250 and F350, so if I bought new springs I'd be able to use them on a future D60 swap. Is that actually true though? I thought they were incompatible, or are they the same springs and just mounted differently?

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The kingpin 60s go for about a grand around me too . for some reason everyone thinks they are made of gold or something, and it was everything but driveshaft,frame mounts and coil springs. Even had a steering gear box still attached (a section of steering link too haha. I've checked several times since my purchase and have seen them at similar deals near me. For someone who doesn't have that luxury it makes sense to skip, but it was hard for me not too..

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And to golden helmet, no its not true that they are the same. the F250 and F 350 springs are very very different in our obs trucks. Your 250 springs are actually stronger than the f350 Springs by 200lbs.
F350-4400#
F250-4600#.
I'll spare you all the details of exactly why, just understand it's mostly the geometry were talking about of how the TTB works. The 350 springs also have positive arch as where the 250 springs have negative arch. He may have been thinking about the Super Duty ,where that is the case depending on how you ordered the truck. And you can use F250 spring on a Dana 60 swap but it would ride extremely rough. That doesn't bother me at all but to some people it makes a world of difference

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The springs are more a shot in the dark / "might as well" than anything, that squeak is driving me insane. The guy I talked to at JD Springs said that Ford used the same springs for the F250 and F350, so if I bought new springs I'd be able to use them on a future D60 swap. Is that actually true though? I thought they were incompatible, or are they the same springs and just mounted differently?
run away from that advice NOW!!!!
f250 IFS use reverse arch springs. if you are less than 1" from your bumpstop, your springs are done.
F250 D60 springs are standard positive arch springs. completely different animals.
i had a guy come in with a converted D60 truck using rev arch springs. the builder got the height by putting in a RSK kit on reverse arch springs. owner of the truck was getting beat to death from the lack of suspension. he wanted me to fix his problem but didn't want to spend no more than $300 with me. I told him to take it back to the shop who did the orig work. "if you didn't spend the big $$$ with me at first, I have no reason to bail you out." he must believe in the principle, "you never know until you ask".......

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And to golden helmet, no its not true that they are the same. the F250 and F 350 springs are very very different in our obs trucks. Your 250 springs are actually stronger than the f350 Springs by 200lbs.
F350-4400#
F250-4600#.
I'll spare you all the details of exactly why, just understand it's mostly the geometry were talking about of how the TTB works. The 350 springs also have positive arch as where the 250 springs have negative arch. He may have been thinking about the Super Duty ,where that is the case depending on how you ordered the truck. And you can use F250 spring on a Dana 60 swap but it would ride extremely rough. That doesn't bother me at all but to some people it makes a world of difference
run away from that advice NOW!!!!
f250 IFS use reverse arch springs. if you are less than 1" from your bumpstop, your springs are done.
F250 D60 springs are standard positive arch springs. completely different animals.
That sounds more like it, I remember you telling me about that when I was up in your neighborhood. Kinda threw me for a loop when the guy was telling me they were interchangeable, that didn't sound right to me. Most of the websites I found list their springs as being for the F250/350 too, and then separate springs for the 350 only and 150 only. So much for re-using them for a D60 swap, thank you both for saving my spine :D

Also, 1 inch you say? I went outside and took pictures / measured:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

The truck is parked with the nose slightly downhill, but I'm not sure if that would make much of a difference. Looks like just over 3/4 of an inch to me. Stick a fork in 'em?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zemmeron