Anyone got a good source for new D50 leaf springs?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you got an '05 or up front axle for $255 :eek: was that just the axle or brackets and everything? the king pin D60s go for a $1000 plus around here and need a full rebuild. the '05 and up stuff is usually pretty close to that, but tend to come in better shape and with more components.
late model D60's are a mixed blessing.
they are cheap to buy into and ungoldly expensive to repair.
the workaround is equally as expensive.
ask any late model owner how was their "hub bearing replacement" experience........you've never hear a SOB howl so loudly. :O

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea that was always the "downside" I heard too. I guess being a 170k mile late model owner kind of callused me to the lack of nessesity of replacing the parts even under heavy service. I'm sure there are thousands of horror stories as with anything, but for every one bad, there are ten factory hub bearings still on the road. And my work connections make it almost as cheap as doing a good ole bearing and race job anyway, and the work is way easier to do when doing it. Don't even have to get greasy.
personally I'll take a much stronger (be it a little more $ to service) unit bearing axle any day. The whole assembly is so much stronger that's hardly an issue in my eyes. Everyone has there opinion on it, for me, all the additional benefits like vastly improved braking,turning radius,much stronger hard parts, and cheap initial investment cost will always far outweigh a once every 150k mile hub bearing replacement cost, if you beat on your truck. Like I said though i used (not abused) my 05 hard for 170k, with no signs of an issue. And they don't fail in any way a bearing won't either, so nothing strange there.

But for the op, it looks like he is staying with his d50. Respectably so, its a good axle in its own right. And his springs are shot. Where do you live? I would be willing to bet your cheapest option for springs would be a re arch from a local company or a good add a leaf. The latter rides rougher, but is far cheaper.....maybe we can find a shop for you that'll do the job at a fair price

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
ask any late model owner how was their "hub bearing replacement" experience........you've never hear a SOB howl so loudly. :O

I actually just did both on my D-50 Monobeam in the Excursion. I didn't think they were all that bad either. I got Timkens from AZ for ~$220 each, and it took less than hour a side for the complete swap......... and only about a half-dozen tools.......

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hunt continues! One local shop was able to track down springs for me, but$275 per side with no hardware ain't gonna work.

Does anyone know offhand what the F250 front springs are rated for? The shop I talked to said my options were 2575#, 2755#, 3486#, and 4100#. I've found similar weight ratings on springs I've found online, so I'm getting close to finding what I need.

Also, I'm going up to Sacramento later this month, so if anyone knows a good shop up there let me know. I'm betting I'll have much better luck finding what I want up there than I will down here in the back alley of Mexico.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The hunt continues! One local shop was able to track down springs for me, but$275 per side with no hardware ain't gonna work.

Does anyone know offhand what the F250 front springs are rated for? The shop I talked to said my options were 2575#, 2755#, 3486#, and 4100#. I've found similar weight ratings on springs I've found online, so I'm getting close to finding what I need.

Also, I'm going up to Sacramento later this month, so if anyone knows a good shop up there let me know. I'm betting I'll have much better luck finding what I want up there than I will down here in the back alley of Mexico.
did you ever talk to betts spring directly?

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread they are rated at 4600 lbs exactly from the factory on the TTB, those numbers you listed look again like super duty numbers, that's 99-04

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread they are rated at 4600 lbs exactly from the factory on the TTB, those numbers you listed look again like super duty numbers, that's 99-04

I must have missed it, woops. Thanks!

did you ever talk to betts spring directly?
I called them again today, this time I got someone helpful. They told me I had 3 options:

#1: 2360# Capacity per side, 4720# total
#2: 2575# capacity per side, 5150# total. He told me this was the most popular choice.
#3: 2755# per side, #5510 total.

I'm assuming that the first one is what I want, but I'm wondering why the other one is more popular. Plow trucks maybe?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I must have missed it, woops. Thanks!

I called them again today, this time I got someone helpful. They told me I had 3 options:

#1: 2360# Capacity per side, 4720# total
#2: 2575# capacity per side, 5150# total. He told me this was the most popular choice.
#3: 2755# per side, #5510 total.

I'm assuming that the first one is what I want, but I'm wondering why the other one is more popular. Plow trucks maybe?
#2 is the OEM choice.
how much were they going to set you back?

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
#2 is the OEM choice.
how much were they going to set you back?
$240 per side, without shackles or U-bolts. But the shipping is free, so that helps.

I looked up the part number Betts gave me over at SD Spring. They have the same part number listed, weight ratings, etc, for $138 per side. With the associated hardware and shipping, it'd be around $440. Every other place that's given me an estimate has been about the same as Betts, $200-$250 per side. Kinda makes me wonder if their springs are made from cheaper materials or something :dunno

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you asked anyone about re arching your current springs?

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. That kinda sucks. It's like a tranny shop that doesn't do manual transmissions.. Lol

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Im guessing this is the part number Betts gave you (E0TA5310ABA) for the 2575# spring (its the only 138$ choice on SD spring)

Questions for you gurus if I went with a higher spring rate, say choice #3 would that give me a slight lift or just a rougher ride?

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would yield a slight lift as well. The higher spring rate handles your current weight easier. It's a lot easier to think about if you imagine the same scenario with an amount of weight on top of a coil spring. If the spring has a capacity of 500 lbs and you stack 450 on top of it, the spring will sag much farther than a spring rated for 600 lbs. With the same weight. Even though the first spring can handle the weight, it sits lower doing it. But you definitely will notice a firmer ride with upgraded capacity, same reason, more push back equals rougher ride.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Makes sense, I think I would gain the slight lift I wanted just from getting new springs, I currently have an add a leaf in there and I only have about an 1" of clearance from my bump stop

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zemmeron