Anyone got a good source for new D50 leaf springs?

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may as well kill two birds with one stone. My tie rods are shot to hell, so since it'll be up on the rack being aligned anyways, I may as well have the 300k mile front leaf springs replaced while it's there. If it still squeaks, creaks, and pops after it gets new tie rods and springs, then I can set it on fire and drive it off a cliff :backoff

So yeah, anyone know a good place to get springs for a D50? I don't want to lift it, just bring it back up to stock height and maybe get a little bit better of a ride quality. I'm probably ******* into the wind on that one, but I can dream!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just did the same on my SD.
altho i have a straight axle, made things a bit easier.

i looked on e-bay and could only find the spring pack, not the main leafs themselfs.

good luck buddy!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
betts spring co. out of either San Leandro or Fresno. they manufacture to oe spec or your spec.
here's the catch, by the time you're all done, you minus well do a D60 conversion. at least doing that increases the value of your truck.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on the Ebay... I do most of my shopping online and if you search you can always find what you need... the shipping will be expensive tho..

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
betts spring co. out of either San Leandro or Fresno. they manufacture to oe spec or your spec.
here's the catch, by the time you're all done, you minus well do a D60 conversion. at least doing that increases the value of your truck.
I really want to do the D60 swap, but the cost of acquiring the D60 + rebuilding it + getting it put on is too much for my wallet to handle right now. I don't know what to expect for the springs, but it's gotta be cheaper than going the whole 9 yards; plus, I can always pass on the springs for now and just do the tie rods. If I keep the truck long enough it'll get a D60 eventually, but right now my #1 priority is just to keep this thing intact and out of the ditches.

I'll give Betts a call tomorrow and see what my options are, thanks ;Sweet

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I really want to do the D60 swap, but the cost of acquiring the D60 + rebuilding it + getting it put on is too much for my wallet to handle right now.

The cost of rebuilding a D50 plus new springs, plus alignment/shop charges, not to mention all your wasted time, is high enough that it's worth just doing a D60. Some guys can't afford to do it right, but they can always afford to do it again.

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm standing with the swap guys on this one. I've got an extensive write up I will have to do, but long and short of it is I've got a coil sprung 60 going in, with 6 inches of lift that axle swap related cost only (front end) will have me at $555. A local yard delivered the axle for $255, and I am having a buddy good at welding build me a custom track bar bracket, plus a few other misc. Costs.

We charge $450 JUST TO PROPERLY ALIGN A TTB FRONT at work. No parts replaced or springs repaired or anything. We even have a custom spring shop within a few miles and its still way cheaper to swap a used 60 in.

Don't get me wrong, the TTB has its place on pre runners and coilover swaps, but for what your saying, 60 all the way

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can find 05+ super duty axles, for the same price as a king pin D60.
then you can have a coil sprung straight axle in the front.
it still may only be a D50, but alot better than a TTB.

im actually going to be installing a D44 3/4 ton in my 94.
got the axles for free, so thats what im gonna do.

wouldnt advise it on a daily driver tho.

on another note, i will have one of these TTB's for sale soon, for the price of a 12 pack.

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coil sprung super duty 60 (all coil sprung models are 60s) are what I was referencing that i paid $255 delivered. My truck is going to be a daily driver as well. Done right, an obs super duty coil sprung truck should perform better as a daily driver than a super duty because of the lighter weight. In every aspect but new truck factor haha

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, i dont own anything newer than 01, so im claiming ignorance lol

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hahaha, so looks like I've gotta convince more than the op on the benefits of the coil sprung swap. Let the fun begin

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dont have to convince me of nothin!
send me axles and ill install them ASAP!!
but im building my own control arms LOL

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For as cheap as I can get an axle around here, my lack of welding skill, I would almost buy one for you if you'd build me a nice flexy 4 link haha, I wish.....

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another source for leaf springs SD Truck Springs, 631-588-8777
If you're interested in maintaining the stock ride height, check on driver door pillar. There should be a "spring code" listed there. SD Truck Springs will build according to code.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online