1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone ever have a eather explosion inside the crankcase?

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by IDIoit, Oct 4, 2019.

1. IDIoit

IDIoit MachinistFabricator Supporting Member

I love this!!!
    we were on a joint task force detachment for deployment back in 96. kuang-u so korea.
    we used to mob these mitsushitty quad cab light duty trucks to the jobsite...
    this would happen every time we passed the south Korean guard post
    oah the memories. thanks for that!

IDIBRONCO likes this.
  2. Reggie f250

Reggie f250 Registered User

A chevy van was towed to the shop i worked at for no start in winter. I was asked to do a tuneup on it. So i start by changing spark plugs and notice 4 cans of starting fluid inside. I try cranking it after spark plug change and it sounds like theres no co pression. I look at the engkne and think to myself "why would someone use a prybar to remove the valve covers without removing the bolts??" I walk around to the front of the engine thinking "mabye timing" . I look down and the timing cover is ballooned out. It must have had a BIG explosion! I told the shop owner and said " geg your tools out were done. It got junked.

3. subway

subway be nice to the admin :D

i had a 79 CJ-7 with a AMC 360 that would do the same thing. mine had headers that went directly to side pipes coming out on front of the rear tire. i didnt have to drop a gear even, just spin it up hard and let off. wait about 3 seconds and BANG out the side with a 3 foot flame! i grenaded mufflers on a regular basis. my friend nearly pissed his pants laughing so hard when i could time the back fire on cars passing me......got a lot of good memories with that Jeep!

4. eacars

eacars Registered User

Yes, we used to do that with late 60's ford pick up. 3 on the tree. drop it down a gear, turn key off, coast with gas pedal to floor 5-10 seconds, turn key back on and re-ignite raw fuel in exhuast. Sounded like a sawed off shotgun.

5. Earle Rattai

Earle Rattai Registered User

I have a 93 7.3 IDI. New glow plugs and solenoid. On a button. 15 seconds of glow plug and still won't start. The smallest sniff of ether (no plugs) and it fires right up. Any ideas? Is it safe to use ether sparingly on these?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  6. IDIoit

I don't use ether.at all.
    all my rigs have working glow plug systems. and air tight fuel systems...
    a good starter and battery connections are also essential

7. chillman88

chillman88 Supporting Member Supporting Member

You should start a thread so we can better help you. Welcome to Oilburners!

IDIoit, Cubey and IDIBRONCO like this.
  8. Cubey

Cubey Full Access Member

I had to a few times on my F250 last winter when it was being extremely difficult. It was likely air intrusion (a bad olive) after it sat overnight in the cold.

9. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

I did this to some friends who were following me down the highway at night. They said the same thing. They also said that the flames looked like they were about 3 feet long like Subway's Jeep.

IDIoit likes this.
  10. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

I've driven a few UPS trucks that would do the same thing.

subway likes this.
  11. IDIoit

I don't know what it is...
    nothing produces a flame quite like a gasser 6 cyl when you cut the ignition off and kick it back on

12. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

On those UPS trucks, all you had to do was hold the throttle wide open for a few seconds and then let completely off. Turning off the ignition wasn't even required. To put a little perspective on this, they were geared to go about 60-62 top speed. They were the biggest ones that usually stayed in town. I worked at a place that had a contract to paint them and I did most of the pick ups and drop offs after work. I made better money doing that than I did at work. A LOT of late nights, though.