anyone ever have a eather explosion inside the crankcase?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At one time, I had a 79 F150 4x2 with a 302, 2.75 gears, and 33" rear tires. The glasspack mufflers were just there for looks. Somehow, I discovered that if I dropped it into 2nd gear while doing 60 down the highway, turned off the ignition for 15-20 seconds, kept my foot steady on the throttle, and then turned the ignition back on, it would have a loud backfire and would shoot flames out of the dual exhaust (only visible at night). That was an on demand trick. I still have no idea how I figured it out. 20 year old kids anyway!
I love this!!!
we were on a joint task force detachment for deployment back in 96. kuang-u so korea.
we used to mob these mitsushitty quad cab light duty trucks to the jobsite...
this would happen every time we passed the south Korean guard post
oah the memories. thanks for that!

Reggie f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A chevy van was towed to the shop i worked at for no start in winter. I was asked to do a tuneup on it. So i start by changing spark plugs and notice 4 cans of starting fluid inside. I try cranking it after spark plug change and it sounds like theres no co pression. I look at the engkne and think to myself "why would someone use a prybar to remove the valve covers without removing the bolts??" I walk around to the front of the engine thinking "mabye timing" . I look down and the timing cover is ballooned out. It must have had a BIG explosion! I told the shop owner and said " geg your tools out were done. It got junked.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
At one time, I had a 79 F150 4x2 with a 302, 2.75 gears, and 33" rear tires. The glasspack mufflers were just there for looks. Somehow, I discovered that if I dropped it into 2nd gear while doing 60 down the highway, turned off the ignition for 15-20 seconds, kept my foot steady on the throttle, and then turned the ignition back on, it would have a loud backfire and would shoot flames out of the dual exhaust (only visible at night). That was an on demand trick. I still have no idea how I figured it out. 20 year old kids anyway!

i had a 79 CJ-7 with a AMC 360 that would do the same thing. mine had headers that went directly to side pipes coming out on front of the rear tire. i didnt have to drop a gear even, just spin it up hard and let off. wait about 3 seconds and BANG out the side with a 3 foot flame! i grenaded mufflers on a regular basis. my friend nearly pissed his pants laughing so hard when i could time the back fire on cars passing me......got a lot of good memories with that Jeep!

eacars

Reaction score

Yes, we used to do that with late 60's ford pick up. 3 on the tree. drop it down a gear, turn key off, coast with gas pedal to floor 5-10 seconds, turn key back on and re-ignite raw fuel in exhuast. Sounded like a sawed off shotgun.

Earle Rattai

Reaction score
I havnt found any. only the heads have been pulled so far
I have a 93 7.3 IDI. New glow plugs and solenoid. On a button. 15 seconds of glow plug and still won't start. The smallest sniff of ether (no plugs) and it fires right up. Any ideas? Is it safe to use ether sparingly on these?

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 93 &.3 IDI. New glow plugs and solenoid. On a button. 15 seconds of glow plug and still won't start. The smallest sniff of ether (no plugs) and it fires right up. Any ideas? Is it safe to use ether sparingly on these?
I don't use ether.at all.
all my rigs have working glow plug systems. and air tight fuel systems...
a good starter and battery connections are also essential

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 93 7.3 IDI. New glow plugs and solenoid. On a button. 15 seconds of glow plug and still won't start. The smallest sniff of ether (no plugs) and it fires right up. Any ideas? Is it safe to use ether sparingly on these?

You should start a thread so we can better help you. Welcome to Oilburners!

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score

I had to a few times on my F250 last winter when it was being extremely difficult. It was likely air intrusion (a bad olive) after it sat overnight in the cold.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Sounded like a sawed off shotgun.
I did this to some friends who were following me down the highway at night. They said the same thing. They also said that the flames looked like they were about 3 feet long like Subway's Jeep.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know what it is...
nothing produces a flame quite like a gasser 6 cyl when you cut the ignition off and kick it back on

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I don't know what it is...
nothing produces a flame quite like a gasser 6 cyl when you cut the ignition off and kick it back on
On those UPS trucks, all you had to do was hold the throttle wide open for a few seconds and then let completely off. Turning off the ignition wasn't even required. To put a little perspective on this, they were geared to go about 60-62 top speed. They were the biggest ones that usually stayed in town. I worked at a place that had a contract to paint them and I did most of the pick ups and drop offs after work. I made better money doing that than I did at work. A LOT of late nights, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VWAudiFord

Members online