Anybody use a grid heater?

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone brought this up before, D-max and P-stroke have a usable intake heater. One of these can be made to go in place of CCV in that port in the intake, its as close to a grid heater we can get I think easly.

You must be registered for see images attach

I know a old farmer here in town that uses these on his old ford idis and some of his tractors and he swears by them when it's -35*f. That it helps them start without being plugged in pretty sure he uses a relay and momentary switch

Black dawg

Reaction score
I know a old farmer here in town that uses these on his old ford idis and some of his tractors and he swears by them when it's -35*f. That it helps them start without being plugged in pretty sure he uses a relay and momentary switch

And he uses it in addition to the glow plugs??

I have wanted to add one to my truck, figured it would help a little.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My little loader doesn't have glow plugs, so this looks worth adding to the intake on it.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes but only when cold I guess next time I see him I'll see if I can get a pic pretty sure it's tapped into the cdr hole

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I have started idi's that had non-functioning glow plugs, a few times with a feathery acetylene torch flame down the intake for a couple mins, then while the engine is cranking....did this if I didn't want to use ether or didn't have any. They still crank a while before they start, but it certainly helps. But not enough to start these every time on only manifold pre heating of any kind

As for a grid heater in these....not worth the effort at all in my opinion. With good functioning glow plugs, fuel system all in check, and decent compression, these engines start well enough well into the deep cold

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have started idi's that had non-functioning glow plugs, a few times with a feathery acetylene torch flame down the intake for a couple mins, then while the engine is cranking....did this if I didn't want to use ether or didn't have any. They still crank a while before they start, but it certainly helps. But not enough to start these every time on only manifold pre heating of any kind

As for a grid heater in these....not worth the effort at all in my opinion. With good functioning glow plugs, fuel system all in check, and decent compression, these engines start well enough well into the deep cold

IV used ahead gun down the intake a few times when my wife's Jetta wouldn't start because it was just that cold worked every time

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IV used ahead gun down the intake a few times when my wife's Jetta wouldn't start because it was just that cold worked every time
No joke I did that last winter and actually caught my dumb air filter on fire. I didn't have ether so it was already soaked in something else flammable, don't remember what. Anyway small flame but scary and stupid. I left it running until I could get water so the flame wouldn't spread and take out the rest of my pickup. Which worked really well actually.
Moral is, use the heat gun but take off the filter first!

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
All I know is that after seeing that vid, the first time my truck will not start because it is too cold, I am getting out my weed burner...

https://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-91033.html

Well my HarborFreight weed burner cost bout $12.50 yrs & yrs ago, now they cost lots more!

Not gonna tell too many folks bout this, but once yrs ago I decided I'd experiment with "Propane Assist" on my '90 CC Dually with my ATS 088 IDI..... so I set my 5 gal propane bottle with my HF weed burner in the front floorboard, ran extension hose thru firewall to intake. Had a thing fixed to propane handle to latch it "hands free" latched. Found nice straight backwoods narrow road for test. Got going in hi-gear, everything looked good, ripping down the road.

Soooo I reached over latched lever open. Bessie came to life for about 2 mi with me hanging on!!!! I finally got propane shut off, & pulled over, set there & calmed down.....

I turned round & headed back down road. I pretty sure all the weeds were burned both sides of the road for bout 150' each way!!!!

So that's my story on "Propane Assist" and not sure what I'll do bout cold starting other than my pushbutton glow plugs.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I know is that after seeing that vid, the first time my truck will not start because it is too cold, I am getting out my weed burner...
I have a propane weed burner and a couple lengths of 6" stove pipe for a backup plan. You put the pipe under the engine, in a spot where the oil isn't dripping, and stick the weed burner up against/into the other end. You hope to get enough heat rising there to get the engine warm without catching it on fire.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live on a mountain foothill. Most of my property is steep hill.

COVERED in mountain beaver tunnels.

Funnest thing I do with that propane torch... Set the nozzle in a tunnel. Turn it on, and let the propane flow for about 3 minutes.

Turn it off, pull the nozzle out. Light it, away from that area...

Then turn it toward the tunnel I was pouring the propane into.

Watch the entire hillside "POP". With a "WHOOOM!"

I think the propane probably kills the mountain beavers, before the explosion gets to them. Still fun to watch that whole hillside go into the air a bit.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live on a mountain foothill. Most of my property is steep hill.

COVERED in mountain beaver tunnels.

Funnest thing I do with that propane torch... Set the nozzle in a tunnel. Turn it on, and let the propane flow for about 3 minutes.

Turn it off, pull the nozzle out. Light it, away from that area...

Then turn it toward the tunnel I was pouring the propane into.

Watch the entire hillside "POP". With a "WHOOOM!"

I think the propane probably kills the mountain beavers, before the explosion gets to them. Still fun to watch that whole hillside go into the air a bit.
I usually just run a pipe from the exhaust on the idi to the hole . seal with dirt and rev a few times and let idle kills gophers pretty good

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I usually just run a pipe from the exhaust on the idi to the hole . seal with dirt and rev a few times and let idle kills gophers pretty good
Excellent idea. Could do just as well sitting a lawnmower or generator nearby and doing the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online