Anybody use a grid heater?

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
I have a propane weed burner and a couple lengths of 6" stove pipe for a backup plan. You put the pipe under the engine, in a spot where the oil isn't dripping, and stick the weed burner up against/into the other end. You hope to get enough heat rising there to get the engine warm without catching it on fire.

Back in ‘70’s &early’80’s when I was trucking still I made several trips up thru BC, Yukon, & on into Alaska.
It can get extremely cold up thru there!
We always ran #1 or kerosene, as well as added reg gas too our fuel tanks....depended on how much below 0 it was predicted. I’ve run as much as 10%+ along with #1 fuel in a 1693 Cat & Big Cam Cummings.
We also NEVER EVER killed our trucks. Figure out hi-lo on dipsticks & make a mark so oil could be cked while idling.

Anyway my main point..... we all also carried usually a 5 gallon bucket filled 1/2-3/4 full of sand & a tarp big enough to wrap round our truck. Then if for some reason we killed our truck or it died & wouldn’t start we could wrap tarp round truck, add some diesel to sand in buckets, set it on fire slid up under tarp for a while. This warmed things up, loosening things up to aid in starting.

Diff subject, but once saw an aluminum door literally shattered & pieces fell apart when the PO’ed driver slammed his fist into the door. It was on a ’72 Cabover Freightliner, about 20 mi east of White Horse Yukon. I seen some cold but THAT WAS COLD THAT DAY!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online