Anybody use a grid heater?

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Anybody use a grid heater on their IDI. I don't need it ,but I wouldn't mind having it.How long do they take to heat up?I was thinking it might be a nice thing to have.

Rock

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
An intake heater.They didn't make one for the IDIs but I have heard of guys adding the grid heaters from PSD and cummaparts.

Rock

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone brought this up before, D-max and P-stroke have a usable intake heater. One of these can be made to go in place of CCV in that port in the intake, its as close to a grid heater we can get I think easly.

You must be registered for see images attach

SuperDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have thought numerous times about installing one from a powerstroke in my 86, I have an early banks sidewinder that has a 3/4 npt hole directly over the intake manifold inlet or if it needed to be further down in the intake I could weld a bung to the cdr block off plate and put it there. The only thing that baffles me is how to control it and the only answer I have been able to come up with is to add a second relay and use the signal wire from the glow plug controller to trigger the intake heater as well. I think that's how it's done on the powerstroke anyway but I don't remember for sure

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
On the powerstroke, it doesn't aide starting. It's a emissions device to reduce smoke on cold starts.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Black dawg

Reaction score
I put one of the square Cummins heaters on a 6.2 that started very easily on glowplugs. It wouldn't start on the grid heater alone, but you could tell that it did add some heat. As far as the screw in style, they really don't make much heat. Both could be used to help in addition to glow plugs, but would just add more amperage draw.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
What Powerstroke used these?
Like the springy looking one above, 99-03 7.3.
People talk about the Cummins grid heaters. Thing is, the Cummins doesn't need it. Most I've been around will start down into the teens without grid heaters very easily. Probably 90% delete it as a restriction.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
I suppose on a NA truck it wouldn't be hard to put one inside the air cleaner, for example.
That is exactly what I was thinking.It would be nice if it works with the old soup bowl.
Someone brought this up before, D-max and P-stroke have a usable intake heater. One of these can be made to go in place of CCV in that port in the intake, its as close to a grid heater we can get I think easly.

You must be registered for see images attach
Something like this^^^^ would be perfect.In theory,all I would have to do is tap the hole to the correct size/type thread then hook up the electrical.Doesn't seem too bad of a job.

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
I Would definetly have to pull one out of a parts truck though,because I am not paying $135 for this.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online