Another collection question

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to build a super sucker but I cannot find a large tank. I'm tired of looking and just want to start collecting oil. Does anyone use a gas powered trash pump? I saw some in a HF catalog for under $200. The 1" and 2" pumps say " Clear water pump " but I'm sure it would work just fine. The 3" says " Trash pump " but is larger than I would want to pack around. This way I could just run some hose to the collection location, fire up the pump and pump it directly into a tank or barrel. Then just roll up the hose, throw it in the truck and be gone.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

wmoguy

Reaction score
If you try it, lemme know how it goes! I was thinking of getting one as well. My guess is it's got the umph to do it. the question is how hard it will be to prime it

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With a couple of valves you could leave some oil in it and keep it's prime. That way you just have to prime it once.

The pump with 2 year warranty was only $175.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running the HF 1.5" gas powered 99cc water pump and it's been working GREAT. Priming it isn't that hard either, just put a foot valve on the end, fill up the hose at least halfway with oil, and stick it in your barrel. I've tried a few different collection methods and this is by far the quickest, I can knock out a 55 gallon drum in less than 5 minutes and if I actually timed it, I bet it's closer to 3.

That 2" pump you bought will be fine, be sure to come back and let me know how much quicker it is than the 1.5" version!

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's great news! ! I was very surprised with how light it is. It can be thrown around easily with one hand. What suction hose are you using? What is your method for shutting it down? Do you use a strainer on the end? The one that was included is plastic and looks like it would clog easily.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For suction hose I'm using a $10 hose from Home Depot/Lowes that's designed as a drainage hose for washing machines. It worked fine for the first 200-300 gallons but has now developed a tiny pinhole (corrugated plastic) that keeps my pump from working as fast as it could. Moving forward, I'll keep checking Craigslist until I see an affordable 1.5" hose...I'd love to get some of the spa hose that sells for $3.xx/ft.

As for shutting it down, there's an on-off switch on the front and whenever my barrel is about a 1/4" from being empty, I just turn it off, move it to the next barrel, and fire it back up again.

And no, I'm not using a strainer although I think I'm going to screw a cap ontol my foot valve and then drill some small holes through it. I'm not sure how much that'll slow it down and I'm reluctant since right now I'm so happy with it.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After searching a bit today, this is the replacement that I see for the suction side hose. Using the collective power of Oilburners, can anyone beat a 1.5" x 20' sturdy hose for $45?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_23772_23772

My other thought was to always save the packaging and keep returning the $10 hoses as they break but at some point, the time to drive back and forth to the store and deal with the hassle has to be considered.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've learned that suction and air pressure are my best friends ;Sweet

I considered a electric farmers pump to put into my 250 bulk tank, but I can flow more oil with 4 psi of air pressure with my 55 gallon steel drum. It flows so fast I almost overfill my fuel tote. I'm going to start premixing into the 55 gallon tank. Then into a fill hose with handle just like the fuel pumps using air pressure :sly

Filling the tank using a funnel gets old and I have to guess when it's full. Yea, I make messes LOL

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to collect oil for my friends shop ... he burned oil for heat ... he had a propane tank set up to just slide into the back of his p/u and hooked up a vaccum line to it while driving down the road.... by the time you drive a couple miles it will pull enough vaccum to empty a couple 55 gal drums ... I think it was a 250 gal tank with a 1" suction line ... worked great for collecting used oil ... then we tried to collect when the temps were still gelow freezing so the water would be frozen

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
I've seen a similar setup in a trailer. 500 gal propane tank with two electric compressors that could pull a vacuum on the tank or apply pressure to empty the tank.

Our trucks do have a built in vacuum pump though........

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726