Alternator, Vacuum Pump, and mysterious levitation

rotarydragon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm finally able to get back to working on my truck courtesy of a job I had for 3 weeks before getting furloughed BUT as I'm effectively paid to work on my truck I'll call it a win.

Anyway, working on the water pump when I noticed that the whole assymbly that holds the Alternator, Vacuum Pump and fuel filter seemed really wobbly. Low and behold it's not attached to anything. It was just hanging on the front of the engine held in place by a ridge and the tension of the belt.

Never seen that one before.

I'm assuming this is wrong. So the question now is what bolts attach it and where the heck do they go as I've not seen any empty holes as of yet. Trying to avoid pulling the whole mess out, but knowing how these things go I should probably just do it and be done.

Never know what you're gonna find not this truck. . .

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
IIRC they're just 3/8" coarse thread bolts. They are kind of hidden by the large bracket.

rotarydragon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, going to go ahead and pull the whole shooting match out and see what’s going on back there and do some cleaning.

rotarydragon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulled the whole shooting match out which was easy. Remove fuel lines and wires and it just fell off.

Pulled the vacuum pump and low and behold the mounting bolt hole is revealed with no bolt in it. The other one had vibrated loose it looks like.

I'm just a bit baffled that the previous owner would have left it like this (or whoever worked on it). I mean, seriously?

Anyway, now to find a bolt of the correct length.