Alt gauge bouncing

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I am driving up a rough road, the alt gauge bounces up and down, like the GP is cycling almost, but very random.
Noticed this first from the head lights, Is this a voltage regulator or what?
Where do I begin looking?

Thanks
doug

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't a 90 have a voltmeter, and not an amp meter?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I had a simalar problem and it cost me dearly. Over about a year the battery lite would show up every now and then. I replaced the voltage reg, then the alternator but the problem continued. Then one night at the barn I was in the dark looking for why this was continuing to plague me. Then I saw an electrical flash at the wires that are attached to the top of the alternator. It turns out the copper wire had broken from vibration just below where the connector clamps the plastic covering of the wires. If it had not been dark I would never had seen the sparking action.It was the battery lite wire and it was always charging, it just showed the lite when it opened the circut. Easy fix but hard to find... Sometimes I do my best work in the dark... So I'm told.:D ;Really

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Sometimes I do my best work in the dark... So I'm told. "

Is that because you can't see or be seen as well in the dark??;Really :rotflmao :rotflmao

shorthair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my daddy always told me you meet a better class of people in the dark. might be he was right met my wife in the dark.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So... Its all this now. I'm not that at all. I have been and will be who I am and what I am as always....;Poke :popcorn :D