Airbag suspension.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the kit I got for hauling my slide in camper and i really like it so far. Much better ride and it was really easy to install

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That kit looks like it'll do you fine. Airlift is a good brand and widely available.

Definitely stay away from the Timbren kits. Yeah they are half the price, but it's a big hard rubber block that makes your ride worse than a solid suspension... Buddy of mine had them and even unloaded when he hit a bump they would hit and jar your kidneys out of your mouth ...

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That kit looks like it'll do you fine. Airlift is a good brand and widely available.

Definitely stay away from the Timbren kits. Yeah they are half the price, but it's a big hard rubber block that makes your ride worse than a solid suspension... Buddy of mine had them and even unloaded when he hit a bump they would hit and jar your kidneys out of your mouth ...
Ya I got scoliosis and a herniated disk so....i like a smooth ride lol.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck had a weird airbag system on it when I purchased. Removed it and bought bags very similar to your first post. Here's pics of what was on the truck when I bought it. Someone on here recognized what it is, however that was several years ago and I don't remember.
You must be registered for see images attach
***! First I've seen something like that

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My truck had a weird airbag system on it when I purchased. Removed it and bought bags very similar to your first post. Here's pics of what was on the truck when I bought it. Someone on here recognized what it is, however that was several years ago and I don't remember.
That’s awful.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really hate running that nylon line all the way up into the cab,
I have a electric pressure gauge, and control the air with 2 electric air valves.
one for pump, one for dump.
I also don't see a tank n that kit

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Not sure on price point either but several wrecking yards around Houston have had ambulances in there with this system or similar. Not sure how well it would fair on a four wheel drive truck where you want flex. I say this b/c on the ones I saw there’s no panhard bar but instead there’s Teflon pads on the outsside of the frame rails over the axles and guide shoes?? mounted on a mating surface that keeps the whole axle square with the frame.

The place I asked about getting all the parts off one said $5-600 for everything but the axle.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
***! First I've seen something like that
That’s awful.
My truck originally came from Kansas, I'm guessing it was used for long distance hauling of something. Along with the airbag suspension, it also had a huge fuel tank in the bed + the two normal tanks, Gear Vendors overdrive, & goose neck hitch, and a gauge for almost everything.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought new Air Lift bags and the brackets and hardware rusted really quick due to road salt. Sand blasted all parts and powder coated with zinc rich powder (weather guard) and replaced fasteners with stainless steel. It's been about three years now and they still look good as new.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really hate running that nylon line all the way up into the cab,
I have a electric pressure gauge, and control the air with 2 electric air valves.
one for pump, one for dump.
I also don't see a tank n that kit
Both my friends who have this kit got it without the compressor and opted to use a small electric compressor from any hardware store. Say they just plug it into there outlet in the truck and pump them up. Think I might do this.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both my friends who have this kit got it without the compressor and opted to use a small electric compressor from any hardware store. Say they just plug it into there outlet in the truck and pump them up. Think I might do this.
Yep, that's how mine is set-up.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s awful.

Looking at it a little bit more, I get what they are doing, they are leveling the ride height loaded without increasing the spring rate. I was first going to say that is pretty cool, but I am now thinking you would not get the better sway control you would from a regular air bag setup.

The regular air bag setup while raising the ride height back up, also makes the suspension very stiff at the same time. This would be bad for ride comfort, but a stiffer spring rate/suspension would give better sway control.

If that weird setup was for gooseneck or fifth wheel towing on long trips, it may be the better setup.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That set up might have been used to hitch and unhitch trailers easier. Deflate the bags, drive under the tongue, inflate the bags, hook it up, and drive off. No cranking required.

The reason I say this is because I don't think that setup would change anything with the spring rate, only the ride height.

Slicknik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did this minus the compressor and added a sway bar that was missing in the rear and it helped me with my camper setup,

Has anyone with a 2wd setup changed to a higher coil spring rate than stock for the front ? Looking at getting some super springs but they only come 3935 and 5000 lb rated and I believe the stock rating is rt around 2300 lb. These rating are per spring of course