air compressor 7.3L IDI

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, sooooo....
1. Install Pump, to compress air,
2. Route as large of a hose as it will allow, to Intake Manifold
3. Install Inline Regulator
4. Cheap Low, Constant Boost Supercharger?

Why would, or wouldn't this work?

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
volume verses pressure, also just a quick question, how would you go about makes the air brakes work when you have hydraulic brakes? i guess what im asking is how are you going to make the air release to make the brakes work when you hit the brake pedal with out locking up the trailer brakes?

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
my truck used to have a vacuum brake system for trailers, you had a handle mounted to the dash that you pulled on to engage the trailer brakes, then pushed the pedal for the truck like usual.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
2 Inch Line, pushing 10 PSI is 530 CFM, granted it's not much actual pressure to "Boost" the Air into the engine, but it is only 70 CFM shy of an Hx35 Turbo...

Knight_3000

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but your pics are no longer viewable and I am interested in something like this for 2 different trucks I have. If You are still on here, It would be awesome if you can repost the pics.

The camo truck in my avatar I am simply wanting an onboard air supply (it's ac system works too so deleting is not an option) but I have another that is a 1991 F350 crew cab that I have plans in mind that are gonna need a steady and reliable air supply.
I'm using a York compressor on my F250. The bracket was fabbed up. Couldn't find one that would work for me, so one was made. I don't know if this would work on a serpentine belt set up or not. I will also add on my F350 in the next month or so. I used a dual belt power steering pump pulley found on non-A/C IDI's. The outer belt groove powers the compressor. I use a standard garage compressor switch to turn the clutch on and off automatically. I have a air tank under the bed with a quick connect and water drain as well. I keep air hose and the like in the truck as well.

Here are some photos that may help you:
You must be registered for see images

Air Tank:

I don't know if that helps or not.

Heath

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will toss this in for consideration and comment...

In HVAC / refrigeration usage, oil is mixed with the refrigerant, and keeps the compressor oiled.

However, an air compressor has an oil reservoir at the bottom for this purpose, and even sometimes a little window so you can see the oil level, replenishing as needed.

I ran into this issue trying to use a refrigeration compressor as a vacuum pump.

Posted for what it's worth.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Have pics in this old thread…

Heath

Knight_3000

Reaction score
I will toss this in for consideration and comment...

In HVAC / refrigeration usage, oil is mixed with the refrigerant, and keeps the compressor oiled.

However, an air compressor has an oil reservoir at the bottom for this purpose, and even sometimes a little window so you can see the oil level, replenishing as needed.

I ran into this issue trying to use a refrigeration compressor as a vacuum pump.

Posted for what it's worth.
With a rotory vane compressor that is the case, however the York compressors do have a separate oil supply from the refrigerant side of things.

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks... I am not privy to the internal working of a York. Wasn't aware they had a separate oil supply

It was about twenty years ago that I learned, by experience, and loss of a compressor, that there may be a significant difference between a compressor designed for air, and one designed for refrigerant.

Yeh, I do Stoopid things occasionally, thankfully not quite Stoopid enough to maim or kill me. Yet.

Experience is something I get immediately AFTER I needed it!