on board air

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jaluhn83, which page? Thanks.

Page 110, center bottom.

Sorry, I thought it would link to the page. The catalog is clunky, but these folks were good to work with and they seem to have a good rep.

Mike,

The stock pump is not well suited. It's axial swash plate design and is lubricated by oil in the refrigerant. If you tried to run it without the oil you'd probably burn the pump up in under an hour of run time. The York work because it's reciprocating and has a separate crankcase and oil supply.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
Its been done alot just got to have ain inline oiler and inline dryer after the pump

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Nice. I think RLDSL has his setup like that.
(If I read right)

Actually, KW bags would be too stinking heavy . It would be like trying to run semi tires on your pickup. Even if you only put 5 lbs of air in them, theyd be to stinking stiff.
I used a set of loose pickup sized bags and mounted them custom in a fashion like KW did off center of teh axle and used a semi truck automatic leveler with a bracket welded to the axle and the frame. ( I know that supposedly it should have a leveler on each side, but the bags are so close together that even on an incline, with the combination of the springs on there, the single leveler is enough to do the job , if the springs were eliminated, then a leveler would be required on each side) Currently I just have a set of bags mounted aft of teh axle but in the future I would like to mount another set forward of the axle and completely eliminate the metal overload. as it is I have the leveler set to where there is always a slight positive load on the air bags and it makes the ride WAY better

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I just meant the automatic leveler part. It'd be cool to see pics of that. I haven't been around too many big trucks yet. Just a few. The one I looked at a little bit was a White I think. The bags were at the far back end of the truck, near the center.
But it was setup for moving mobile homes and pulling goosenecks.

Maybe someone should start a new thread for this. Lol

Arborigine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see photos of an engine mounted compressor. Not enough room with AC. That red one pictured by 88Beast? I burned up three of those powering the Nathan P-3 railroad horns on my old Goldwing in two years. I kid you not, photos below. The system had twin tanks, a pressure release, a pressure switch to restart it, and a solonoid valve for operation with a remote for people who would actually touch my bike. Small size has its cost so the small pumps get hot and score the cylinder, melting the plastic piston rings. One broke the connecting rod. On a bike it was worth it, but i would not rely on a cheap pump. I have lots of room under the right front of the truck bed, perhaps a belt drive from the front of the driveshaft similar used on some hotrods alternators may do it, but the sand on the roads here in winter would foul that up quick.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I'd like to see photos of an engine mounted compressor. Not enough room with AC. That red one pictured by 88Beast? I burned up three of those powering the Nathan P-3 railroad horns on my old Goldwing in two years. I kid you not, photos below. The system had twin tanks, a pressure release, a pressure swithc to restart it, and a solonoid valve for operation with a remote for people who would actually touch my bike. Small size has its cost so the small pumps get hot and score the cylinder, melting the plastic piston rings. One broke the connecting rod. On a bike it was worth it, but i would not rely on a cheap pump. I have lots of room under the right front of the truck bed, perhaps a belt drive from the front of the driveshaft like used on some hotrods may do it.

Now... exactly how many times , did some ******* in a lexus have to head straight to the detail shop to get poo stains cleaned off his seat after almost running you off the road :rotflmao

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had a York compressor on my F250 for close to 7 years now. Mounted next to the A/C compressor and just above the PS pump. V-belt drived off a dual PS pulley.

Works great and will put one on my F350 before the Rally if I have time.

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few more picutres:

Heath

swervyjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had them all on Webshots but now that it's gone, so are my my links.

[xATTACH=CONFIG]43559[/ATTACH][xATTACH=CONFIG]43560[/ATTACH]

Heath
Theres the money shots!

Looks like I'm going with a york 210. Sounds like the air compressor from a large IDI powered truck isn't worth the hassle. I had a york setup on a Tacoma in the past that work really well. I'm working my way towards being AC free and the vacuum pump should be coming off soon so there should be plenty of room.

Anyone know about the dry/wet tank setup on semis? Its my understanding that there are 2 air tanks so the first one catches the oil and the second stays dry. I'd like to do something like that this time around.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Theres the money shots!

Looks like I'm going with a york 210. Sounds like the air compressor from a large IDI powered truck isn't worth the hassle. I had a york setup on a Tacoma in the past that work really well. I'm working my way towards being AC free and the vacuum pump should be coming off soon so there should be plenty of room.

Anyone know about the dry/wet tank setup on semis? Its my understanding that there are 2 air tanks so the first one catches the oil and the second stays dry. I'd like to do something like that this time around.

Big trucks have an actual dryer and then the air tanks

Actully they have 3 tanks and a dryer, in this case your both right, basiclly goes dryer -> wet tank (designed to catch oil/water but questionable workability) -> secondary tank (front brakes) -> primary tank (rear brakes)

Tyvm for the above pics, any chance you can throw in mounting bolt locations (basiclly bracket mounted on engine) and pulley info?