After years of idi ownership...

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would buy one of these in a heartbeat if I could afford it. And be available to do timing for others.

Sure wish some of you with these lived closer. LOL

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would buy one of these in a heartbeat if I could afford it. And be available to do timing for others.

Sure wish some of you with these lived closer. LOL

I'd be tempted to fly out for a weekend vacation, but knowing my luck TSA would have me arrested for trying to bring a "bomb" LOL

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I just got mine in the mail today. I skimmed through the directions, and it's seems really confusing. If someone could give me the basics of it, I would appreciate. I understand how the pulse adapter and timing light works, but I have never used one of these probe setups. thanks
You must be registered for see images attach

Rock

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got mine in the mail today. I skimmed through the directions, and it's seems really confusing. If someone could give me the basics of it, I would appreciate. I understand how the pulse adapter and timing light works, but I have never used one of these probe setups. thanks

Rock

Just the basics? You plug it in and read it :angel:

Sand paint off #1 injector line right near the injector.

Run a 5/16 drill bit through the hole on the timing marker BY HAND to clean up any rust/dirt.

Place business card between the harmonic balancer and the probe hole and place magnetic pickup in hole. Remove business card.

Place line clamp on sanded piece of injector line and tighten snug.

Hook up power and ground.

MAKE SURE WIRES WILL NOT GET CAUGHT BY FAN/BELTS

Check offset (should read 20) then turn dial to "probe"

Then start truck. It should display your timing and RPM. Bring RPM to 2000 to check.

If I screwed it up someone should let me know but I'm pretty sure that's it.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Just the basics? You plug it in and read it :angel:

Sand paint off #1 injector line right near the injector.

Run a 5/16 drill bit through the hole on the timing marker BY HAND to clean up any rust/dirt.

Place business card between the harmonic balancer and the probe hole and place magnetic pickup in hole. Remove business card.

Place line clamp on sanded piece of injector line and tighten snug.

Hook up power and ground.

MAKE SURE WIRES WILL NOT GET CAUGHT BY FAN/BELTS

Check offset (should read 20) then turn dial to "probe"

Then start truck. It should display your timing and RPM. Bring RPM to 2000 to check.

If I screwed it up someone should let me know but I'm pretty sure that's it.
Lol, you got me there!
Doesn't sound too bad at all actually, I am thinking the directions just made it sound worse than it really is. Thank you for the detailed rundown, I really appreciate it, and it helps me understand it better. thanks

Rock

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DTI-Tech-Time-3300-S-Diesel-Timing-Tachometer-Tester-Draf-530-HMMWV/291925919893?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

If the link works for you. I offered $200 and he accepted, I see another member offered $180 and it was accepted so don't be afraid to try!

Yes this is where I got mine couple weeks ago chillman88 .... Offered $180 & got it.
Been so busy with couple guys out here building my new shop all I had time for is open box, look at it, lovingly rub my hands all over it, put back in box & go hide it fore my wife finds it & stomps it cause I "blew more $$$$" on "wasteful gadgets".... sigh LOL LOL
Then every morn before she gets up I go open box & look & drool over it & gently rub it some more....

BTW chillman88 I notice you offered to fly out for weekend visit with Selahdoor..... come on out, my door's open. You can time mine while here, of course you have to stay long enough to help me get this 40x64 shop up!! LOL

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Your shop won`t be big enough, believe me.
I have 30 X 18 and a 40 X 50 and not big enough.

Think bigger.

Goat

Yeah in '92 I leased a 12,000' shop building. I looked it over, said to myself "no way will I ever need or use this much room." But the lease was so cheap it nearly was like they were paying me to lease it. Soooo I leased it, set up my welding/mfg shop.......
In less than a yr we were running out of room!!!

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i haven't got my project all the way put together.bought this last year just to have one.guy accepted 150$
on ebay .has to be cheaper than going to a shop to have it timed after its all together.and who doesn't want to have more tools in there garage ,right.
And going to a shop in 2021 will almost 100% get you an older guy that will just bump it 1/4" towards the passenger side and call it a day, charging you $100+ for the "timing job". Because they sold their timing meters like 20 years ago...
I've asked 3-4 diesel shop owners about it over the last 10 years and every time it's the same answer. They just don't work on them much, sold the timing meters and get it "close enough" by ear.

Point is you're ahead of the game vs taking it to a shop anyway!

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Well shoot, i'll have to do a barbecue weekend this summer and have ya all over to my shop, 4 bays, built 1740. Fits a tri-axle. half of it is outdoor too.

I'm thinking ill fire up the meter this weekend and see how far off Pearly is.

bilbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I will throw my hat in here too. I bought one of these right after I got my truck last November, but then my Mom got pretty sick and ended up passing away in January so I hadn’t tried it out yet. Gave it a shot this evening and I can’t really say how accurate it is but it gives me a number. It was getting late and dark so I didn’t play with it much.

I too usually have an open air shop. We have an uninsulated single car garage but it’s a bit cramped at times. I won’t complain as it’s better than nothing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828