After years of idi ownership...

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If you don’t get a steady reading on cylinder one, you can try number four I believe. It should be 360 degrees of crankshaft rotation from one.
This is right. Internationals and vans (IIRC) both time off of cylinder #4 instead of #1.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
RPM is read by the injector pulse. If you don’t get a steady reading on cylinder one, you can try number four I believe. It should be 360 degrees of crankshaft rotation from one.

I screwed around one time with my meter trying to figure out what was going on when I replaced the cylinder one injection line with an aftermarket line. It was 6mm not 1/4” and I couldn’t get a steady RPM reading. Put the original line back on and everything worked as it should again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess i'm learning something new every day! :idiot:

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you.

That will actually make it easier to read, in the future. :D

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay. I’ve read through this thread. I’ve had one of these meters for a while. I have had a bit of an issue lately. The last couple times I’ve used it, it’s showing me that the timing is increasing as the rpm increases. I realize that’s not right. I have seen correct behavior in the past with the meter. I get stable rpm. I get stable timing but the behavior is wrong. I’ve played with the mag probe position. I’ve swapped from 1 to 4. No change.

Anybody else seen this or have any thoughts?

I find it interesting that the rpm reads off the line clamp since I assume it turns at half speed (cam speed). I guess it really doesn’t matter. It’s just measuring the difference between the events and doing the math based on the rpm.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Also, once I get comfortable with using it, I may offer to time local folk's trucks in the CT area.

You comfortable with it yet lol You can test it on my truck

ISPKI

Reaction score
You comfortable with it yet lol You can test it on my truck

Well ive only used it a couple times on my trucks but its pretty straight forward. I just dont have an idea which direction to rotate the pump to influence the timing.

I'll reach out to ya once ive successfully used it to time my truck in. Whereabouts are you in CT?

ISPKI

Reaction score
Okay. I’ve read through this thread. I’ve had one of these meters for a while. I have had a bit of an issue lately. The last couple times I’ve used it, it’s showing me that the timing is increasing as the rpm increases. I realize that’s not right. I have seen correct behavior in the past with the meter. I get stable rpm. I get stable timing but the behavior is wrong. I’ve played with the mag probe position. I’ve swapped from 1 to 4. No change.

Anybody else seen this or have any thoughts?

I find it interesting that the rpm reads off the line clamp since I assume it turns at half speed (cam speed). I guess it really doesn’t matter. It’s just measuring the difference between the events and doing the math based on the rpm.

Yeah I assumed it would pull RPM off the crank but I suppose it doesnt make a difference like you said.

I will have to look at my timing videos again. I believe mine starts around 9 degrees at idle and drops to around 4.3 at 2k RPM. Are you saying yours is starting low and increasing as RPM increases? Could it be that your timing is retarded past 0 degrees? Would the engine even function if that were the case?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I assumed it would pull RPM off the crank but I suppose it doesnt make a difference like you said.

I will have to look at my timing videos again. I believe mine starts around 9 degrees at idle and drops to around 4.3 at 2k RPM. Are you saying yours is starting low and increasing as RPM increases? Could it be that your timing is retarded past 0 degrees? Would the engine even function if that were the case?
I never even thought of that. I would think the meter would show a negative symbol though right??

But I think when I moved the pump it went the right way...

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Well ive only used it a couple times on my trucks but its pretty straight forward. I just dont have an idea which direction to rotate the pump to influence the timing.

I'll reach out to ya once ive successfully used it to time my truck in. Whereabouts are you in CT?
I’m in Glastonbury

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Turning the top of the IP pump toward the passenger side, increases timing.

ISPKI

Reaction score
I never even thought of that. I would think the meter would show a negative symbol though right??

But I think when I moved the pump it went the right way...

I have no idea! I dont know that it would be able to interpret retarded timing differently than advanced timing, I just cant think of why your truck would seem to be adjusting in reverse unless its timing is slipped past 0.

Does it seem to run OK?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online